Multiple time machine backups

Discussion in 'macOS' started by peterlax, Oct 10, 2010.

1. peterlax macrumors newbie

Slightly complicated questiion, bear with me!

Been using a macbook with time machine on an external hard drive for about a year and have finally bit the bullet and bought an iMac with time capsule for home as well. My job involved moving around quite a bit, but in terms of backup I was wondering if it was possible to use time machine on my portable hard drive for backups when I'm away from home, and then when I get back home for a while to create a master backup on my time capsule.

I.e. backup on the run for when I'm away on portable HDD, but master copy when I'm at home on time capsule. I'm also going to use the time capsule for backing up my iMac, so would this cause any problems with 2 computers on the same capsule?

As a slight aside, does anyone know where I can get a modem that will work with a time capsule? I went over from a combined linksys modem/router as I thought time capsule had a built in modem as well, so now I'm running 2 networks just so I can use the modem on my linksys router to power the internet on the time capsule!

Any step by step instructions would be massively appreciated as I'm not incredibly au fait with macs!

Cheers,

Pete

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

This would work, in effect you will have a backup of your backup. I am also sure you can have two Mac's backing up to the same TM.