iPad Pro Multiple USB charger (4-6 ports)

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Synergie, May 28, 2016.

1. Synergie macrumors 6502a

Does anyone know of a good wall charger with at least 4-6 USB ports to charge multiple devices at once? (Rapid charge) I'd like to be able to charge iPad Pro 12.9, magic keyboard, Apple Pencil and my iPhone 6s Plus at same time together in one outlet. Or even leave the keyboard and iPad plugged in when doing intensive tasks kind of like a mini desktop computer so I don't have to worry about power drop. Using the iPad sparsely or with the brightness turned way down it lasts quite awhile but not at full brightness working on a lot of photo editing.

And if in Canada do u know if Apple Store or Best Buy would carry?? I did find a Belkin one with only 2 USB ports.... But I'd like 4.

Also second question is there a lightning adapter that allows power through and also ability to plug a second device? I mean like allow the ipad to be charged and also plug a lightning to as card adapter at same time? This would also come in handy for the new MacBooks too...

2. Mr.C macrumors 601

Anker makes good chargers with multiple USB ports. I think they come with different wattage options. Have look on Amazon Canada and search for Anker USB chargers. I have one with six USB ports I bought from Amazon UK and it works great although I've not measured how long it takes to charge my various devices. I use it for my iPhone, Apple Watch, and Senhieser Bluetooth headphones although not for my iPad.

3. Synergie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmm ideally I want a multiple USB-C or at least one of the ports to be USB-C because the chintzy 12 W charger that came with my iPad Pro 12.9 can't even maintain the battery let alone charge it while you are using it! So I'm getting a usb c to lightning cable and looking for a charger with at least 2 ports and one has to be usb c. The other can be reg usb 3.0 I did find one from China with 2 usb 3.0 ports and one usb c not sure what the wattage is though.

4. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

There is no third party USB-C adapter right now that can charge the 12.9" iPad Pro @ 29W.

5. djeeyore25 macrumors regular

djeeyore25

The USB-C charger is a must have for the 12.9" iPad Pro. I got one last week and it works so much better than the included charger. Hopefully they'll make a high powered multiple USB-C port unit at some time in the future. You could also buy a power strip with regular plug (for the USB-C charger) and USB outlets built in. It's not ideal, but at least it'd be one unit for all the devices.

That said, I've used a high powered 4-port Orico USB wall charger with the 12.9" iPad Pro and had some success. While it didn't charge nearly as fast as USB-C, it did charge while I was using the device. That's a victory with the iPad Pro.

6. Synergie thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't know the wattage but there is one from China... It is usb-c

I did pick up the MacBook charger though and the 2m Lightning to usb-c cable. HUGE difference! It fully charged now in under 1.5 hrs where before it was like 6 hrs! Bonus is Apple Store gives military discounts! (I didn't know this before) so it wasn't as expensive as I thought it would be.

7. djeeyore25 macrumors regular

djeeyore25

The USB-C charger is crazy fast. Apple should have included one with the iPad Pro. I'm glad to at least have the option to use it.

Monoprice (among others) makes a USB hub for USB-C that you can use with the wall charger. While it's not exactly a flush solution, it'll get the job done. I'm not sure what the USB-C output is on the hub, but if it'll power a Macbook it should power the iPad Pro. http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15249
    --- Post Merged, Jun 2, 2016 ---
    On second thought, that hub may not work. I'm not sure if the power would flow through the USB-C connector on the hub. It'd probably work with a few adaptors, but that's not worth the effort. Grrrr.

8. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

I'd love it if there were a third party charger with 29W speeds for the iPad Pro 12.9" though.

I had high hopes for the Anker one, sadly it didn't work.

9. ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

My vote is for anything from Anker, but it does seem that they don't have one with USB-C that will work with the iPad yet. I've mostly settled on a 4-port unit for everything else and then the Apple 29W unit for my iPad Pro. Maybe someday...