Multiple user accts on same iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sabatine, May 23, 2015.

1. sabatine, May 23, 2015
    Last edited: May 23, 2015

sabatine macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,
    I'm a senior and relative Mac Newbie so I am most appreciative that this board is here to help us out. Please forgive if some of these seem like pretty basic questions, but we are learning as we go. ;)

After much research on how to proceed, I upgraded my mid 2009 iMac from SL to Yosemite. Previously we had only one user account which both my husband and I shared (it was the ADMIN acct). After the upgrade, I realized for security reasons we should not be surfing out of the ADMIN account, so we set up 2 separate accounts (one for each of us) on the iMac. My questions are

1) is there a way of sharing the iTunes library/playlist we had set up previously on each of our new accounts?

2) How about the photos? We could set up our own photo libraries but we would still have to move the pics from the Admin account. I understand that iCloud could be used to transfer them, but would really prefer NOT to use it for any pics. (kinds of creeps me out having my photos "up there") :eek:

3) Likewise our documents folders, lots of stuff in there, how do we separate them out?

I did go to the Systems Preferences/Sharing and thought file sharing may be an option but it seems to be for users on other computers?

Any advice to help to sort this out would be greatly appreciated! :)

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There is a folder at /Users/Shared that can be seen by anyone logged in. You could put your iTunes and iPhoto libraries there then point iTunes and iPhoto to that location. Same with documents.

3. sabatine thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!!!

That totally makes sense but since the migration to Yosemite I wasn't able to see the HD icon in finder any more. After some poking around I now see the Public folder, DropBox and the Shared.

I have tried moving the documents using these folders and it worked great. The only concern I have now is how to get the iTunes and Photos hooked up the same way. I'm not sure which files to put in the Shared folder as I really don't want to majorly mess this up.

Thanks again!

4. sabatine thread starter macrumors newbie

5. ssmed macrumors 6502

ssmed

Moving the whole iTunes folder to the shared folder works fine. I have done this for years and now have my complete collection on an external disk and use it with different computers and different users. You have to watch the 5 authorisations limit though.