Multiple users but each with its own set of apps

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pika2000, Dec 16, 2018.

1. pika2000 macrumors 603

I never thought of this since I always use my Macs by myself. Right now on my setup, any apps installed will be accessible by the other users on the same mac.

Let's say, user A might need Photoshop, Final Cut. User B needs Office, but he/she doesn't need Photoshop. Is there a way to set up the mac to have specific apps only for specific users?

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Yes. Install the apps in that user's Applications folder only, not in the Root folder.
    HD/Users/User X/Applications
    HD/Users/User Y/Applications
    HD/Users/User Z/Applications

Not in
    HD/Applications

3. pika2000 thread starter macrumors 603

Ah, good one. I forgot about that Application folder in the user folder. The only thing is by default, all apps tend to want to be installed in the root folder, so I just need to educate the users.

Thanks. :)

4. chrfr macrumors 604

What's the actual problem you're trying to solve by doing this? Not every app is going to be able to be installed into an individual's account, and you can't just move apps like Photoshop.

5. pika2000 thread starter macrumors 603

Is that true? Haven’t tried it so any insights are welcomed.

What’s the actual problem? Simple, I want a system where each user has their own set of apps they they want. Useful in situations like family.

6. chrfr macrumors 604

This is a task that’s just not worth the effort. You can’t specify a custom location at all to install Creative Cloud apps, so they’ll go into the main applications folder no matter what. This is also the case with App Store apps.
    If you train your users to just use Spotlight to launch apps, it won’t matter at all where they’re located. Alternatively, put icons in the dock for them.

7. chown33 Moderator

Staff Member

You could use Parental Controls in System Preferences to setup managed accounts, and then limit the apps that each account can run.

This may be more restrictive than desired. It can also be tedious to setup if there are lots of apps available and only a few enabled.