Multiple users for ipad?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by thinkadam, Jun 19, 2012.

1. thinkadam macrumors regular

rumours were that ios6 would support multiple users for ipad?
    Anyone find this functionality?

Sure would be nice to share an ipad with the family and each have our own mail.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Nope, I don't think that has been added, nor will it be in the final version

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

4. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Not having multiple users possible on an iPad shows that Apple sees this device (as the iPhone) as a personal device. Just for you. Only for you.

5. jman240 macrumors 6502a

I don't see Apple doing user accounts any time soon.

That being said. Windows 8 RT or just Windows 8 will support this. I think at this point it will be the only "tablet os" that supports user accounts unless I'm missing something. I don't personally like Windows8 but I've only tried it on a desktop and a VM on a laptop so maybe it shines on tablets?

6. Doombringer macrumors regular

It would be nice, in the case where... say... a parent allows their child to use their iPad for whatever reason (productivity or gaming). It doesn't necessarily make sense to spend hundreds of dollars on a separate iPad for the kiddo(s).

And even in the event you did purchase a cheap, refurb iPad specifically for your child... what if you had two or more children? Having 3+ iPads floating about the house is not exactly an elegant solution, either. Plus, if you cared to lock down some of the iPad's apps or functions, restricting them to certain users or only allowing access at certain times of the day... etc, etc. Your usual parental controls stuff.

7. Ljohnson72 macrumors 6502a

Ljohnson72

User accounts will most likely never happen on the iPad. Gotta buy one for each member of the family!

8. thinkadam thread starter macrumors regular

then the question comes...get my own? or use the wifes?
    Im happy on my iphone most of the time anyways

9. newagemac macrumors 68020

The wife and I have our own iPads and iPhones, iCloud accounts, and Apple IDs. It it too much hassle sharing accounts and limits what you can do as well as personalization. Like for instance I have all my iDevices and my iTunes syncing purchases automatically whenever I download an app, music, etc. Wouldn't have this feature turned on if it meant I would be getting all my wife's stuff that I'm not interested in.

Also with Home Sharing, I can easily grab anything on my wife's account whenever I want so even though we have separate devices and separate accounts, we still can share app purchases with Home Sharing.

10. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

orrr apple wants to sell as many as possible.

one for every person

----------

oops just saw this post.

11. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I want either different users or a cheaper 7" iPad. I know they want everyone in the family to have one but I am not buying my 6 year old a $500 tablet. I would a $300 one though. I'm just tired of having Dora and cupcake makers splashed everywhere. (It doesn't seem to matter how much clean up I do she has tons of new crap downloaded daily, also make my choice of 16GB a bad one in hindsight. Of course I didn't see her getting so acclimated so fast.) I'll probably buy an iPad 4 just to give her my iPad 2.

12. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

My wife and I have separate iCloud accounts, but share my AppleID for the App Store and iTunes Store. This seems to work pretty well, as I turned off app purchase push so that what she downloads doesn't automatically download on mine. My parents, OTOH, specifically share one iCloud account as that works best for them.

On topic, I think the iPad would lend itself well to having multiple users, especially if they start making higher capacities standard. If the starting model was 64 GB and went up from there, that would work pretty well.

13. iregret macrumors 6502

IMO, parental controls is an area where iOS is lacking big time.

14. ambermollers macrumors newbie

Oh well, i just think icloud is really the best ever.

15. pnyc macrumors 6502

Not gonna happen, call it business savvy, greed or whatever else you want but it just not gonna happen.