Multiple Users on El Capitan

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Aredeth, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Aredeth macrumors newbie

Greetings everyone, i am new to this forum and to the OS X world.

I am trying to achieve something with my new Macbook Pro 13 Retina 2015, and i'm not sure which options i need to choose to fit my needs.

So i have my main account - administrator, where i am logged in everything, app store with my ID , my Emails and on the internet everywhere with my accounts.

I will be sharing my Mac with my wife, and although we could share the same login, we find it a bit cumbersome to switch Facebook accounts, Skype and all these every time we use the mac.

So what i want to achieve is at follows.

2 Accounts, mine as Admin her as Standard User, but in such a way that we can share the same installed apps, all the files (Pictures, Music, Videos and Documents).
    I want to achieve this to save space, as in not have the same apps installed on two profiles, as that was the way Windows used to work (if i am not wrong).

Kindly waiting for your advice!

Thank you.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

All apps will be shared when creating a new user.

1) Apple Menu > System Preferences

1.png

2) Users & Groups

2.png

3) Click the padlock at the bottom-left to unlock. Enter system password when prompted.

3.png

4) Click + to add a new user.

4.png

5) Select standard user

5.png

To enable file/folder sharing for specific folders for all users on Mac:

1) Right-click folder in question and select 'Get Info'

6.png

2) Again click the Padlock to unlock, and press the + to add a new user

7.png

3) Then select the newly created user and select their privilege level. Read only means they can see the data but can't edit it. Read & Write means they can edit the data too.

3. Aredeth thread starter macrumors newbie