Multiple Users on iPad2

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by stevienaeyaert, Oct 21, 2011.

1. stevienaeyaert macrumors newbie

Hi - we have one iPad2 in this household. The only serious users are myself and our 10 year old son. Both of us enjoy playing some games like Angry Birds Rio, Cover Orange, etc.

Is there a way we have have 2 separate Angry Birds Apps on one iPad2? So each of us can have our own levels, breaking records, etc. I don't mind paying for 2 apps. But is this possible?

I apologize if this has been asked before but I looked everywhere and can't find someone with the same question.

Thanks!
    Stevie

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I think it is more app specific, As in if the app allows multiple users. Perhaps you could get angry birds for yourself and angry birds rio for your son?

3. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

I'd recommend giving iTunes support a call with your question. (You can find the number on iTunes.) But frankly, I think you'll find the answer is "No."

What you're running into, I think, is the fact that an iPad is considered to be a purely "personal" device, more like a phone than a family computer.

I ran into this problem initially because I purchased the iPad as a "family" device to be shared with my 7 y/o daughter and my wife. One of the first problems I encountered was that I could not set up separate "accounts" for each of us with appropriate icons. The best I could do was to divide apps among different home screens (making one home screen for my daughter with her apps, for example.)

The problem with this workaround is, of course, that "Angry Birds" can appear on only one screen. If it's on my daughter's home screen, it cannot appear on any of mine. (We continually battle for control of several such apps.)

Thus, I think you'll find that Apple's "solution" to this problem is to buy another iPad. :mad:

IMO, this is a subtle but significant problem with using iOS as the OS for the iPad. While it's adequate for a phone (which is seldom shared), the iPad is a very different type of device. One of its greatest benefits, in fact, is the fact that my daughter and I can share its use. But the limitations of iOS make this somewhat problematic.

P.S. Obviously, the other "solution" is for the "Angry Birds" folks to provide for user specific settings. But I doubt that is a major priority for them, either.

4. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

this would be nice. I just received an iPad and wished there was an Accounts/Login screen. not that it is a huge deal but swapping the iPad with my wife means logging out of Facebook and other apps and I really could care less to have the Romance novels she downloads to be within my bookshelf.

But I guess the Apple Solution is "buy another iPad" which is not a solution for us.