Multiple Users On One VPN Account

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by steiney, Sep 16, 2013.

1. steiney macrumors 6502

Hello all,

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this question, but...

I have been using a VPN service for several months now since all the NSA stuff started and also the SOPA stuff. My friend who lives in a different state recently decided he wants to start using a VPN service as well.

My friend wants to use the same VPN account as me and share the monthly cost. Is there any problem with this from a technical standpoint (e.g. forgetting the moral standpoint). I have used the same account simultaneously from my computer, through my home ISP, and from my smartphone through my cell provider ISP at the same time with no problem or slow downs. I'm guessing that giving my friend the credentials and letting him use the service simultaneously would be no different, because it's just another IP address connecting to the VPN's servers as far as they are concerned.

Am I missing anything? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

steiney

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

So long as your VPN service allows you to connect more than one device then there should be no issue. Mine allows up to 3 devices and I use one for my home and one for mobile just fine.

3. steiney thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, thanks. I guess I'll send them an email and see how many connections are allowed per user.

Also, this is a noobish question but:

Is it at all possible for my friend to see my traffic or vice versa since we are sharing the same account? I can't imagine so, but figure it's worth asking.

4. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Not unless your VPN provider has some control panel that would allow this. Otherwise you're basically two separate people.

5. steiney thread starter macrumors 6502