Multiple Users, One Library

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Crash Davis, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Crash Davis macrumors member

Just wanted some feedback on what I'm trying to do.

I have one library on a network connected NAS. I want to set it up so that my wife and I can both access the library directly so that we can both add music to our iPods, etc.

I'm the only one that ever adds music so that isn't an issue.

Is the best way to do this to keep local copies of the library file (.itl) on each computer pointed at the NAS music folder?

I'm assuming she'll need to do a import or whatever when I add new music to refresh her library file. Unless I can write a script for that.

I also assume I could append "-network" or something to the library file so that we could each also keep local libraries.

Anyway, it shouldn't be very complicated, and it may have been asked/posted before, but if anyone has any comments, I'd really appreciate hearing them.

Thanks! :)

2. Crash Davis thread starter macrumors member

I'm also thinking about keeping the .itl and .xml itunes database files on the NAS. The main machine would access them directly. The other machine could be set up with rsync to copy the files over regularly (or at itunes startup?) to sync.

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Why sync them? Why not just have one copy of the library files (on the NAS) and have the iTunes on each machine access it directly. Unless of course you'll both be accessing it at the same time, although that would also confuse rsync too.

4. Crash Davis thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, it is because I want us both to be able to access at the same time. Why would that cause a problem with rsync? Especially if I set it to run overnight.

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Because if you make changes to both copies of the file since the last syncing, one of them is going to get over-written the next time you sync.

6. Crash Davis thread starter macrumors member

Ah, I think I've gotcha. You mean the rsync will overwrite the other user's playlists, ratings, etc. with the NAS library files.

So, do you think I should set something up to automate an "add to library" type process? I guess worst case scenario I could just tell the other user to run that command from the menu when I add content.