Multiple users: same music and contacts?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wattso, Aug 14, 2008.

1. wattso macrumors regular

Hi there,

I actually feel embarrassed that I don't know the answer to this question:
    Basically everyone in the house has been using the same account. Same music, contacts on it etc.

I now want (due to mobile me syncing everyones different contact books) my own account, but I want all the music from the other account and all the contacts.

When I try and access the other users 'music' folder from the finder it says I do not have sufficient privileges. Although both users are set to administrator.

Can anybody help me?

Thanks in advance

2. kolax macrumors G3

Not very easy to do - the way I do it is share my iTunes folder with the other accounts and just give them read access. However, the downside is if I add a song in iTunes, it won't get added to the other accounts unless I delete all the music from the other account in iTunes and add it all again.

[​IMG]

Make sure you actually add '+' the accounts you want to share the folder with.

3. wattso thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the quick reply!

Hrm your right its not ideal is it. The problem is i wont want the entire collection of itunes on this new account, for instance I will want to delete some of my brothers music so that it is on the main account and not my new one. I only want my music on the new one.

One way I thought of was copying the 'music' folder from the main account into 'shared' and then into the new account. But that means lots of unnecessary space taken up on the computer as I assume it creates a copy yes?

4. kolax macrumors G3

Well, you could change your iTunes music folder directory to the shared folder, but then your music isn't secure as someone else could delete it.

It will create a copy if you "copy" it to the shared folder. Moving, it won't.

5. wattso thread starter macrumors regular

I think my best option is to create a copy then. As I don't want all of the music in the iTunes library on the new account.

Thank you very much for all your help! :)