Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blackspeare

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
Hello...

I have been using my new MacBook Air (11 inch) for a little over a month now----trying to get used to it and somehow I now have other "users" on my machine. I suspect I got them when I migrated information from two Windows computers to the Mac. When I try to open the folders for those users I get the message that I do not have permission??? Three questions: how do I get permission to open those folders?; how can I delete those users and their folders/files?; and is their a way to disengage the need for a password every time I want to do something on this Mac? Thanks for your answers and patience.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Three questions: how do I get permission to open those folders?; how can I delete those users and their folders/files?; and is their a way to disengage the need for a password every time I want to do something on this Mac? Thanks for your answers and patience.
System Preferences > Accounts (delete the ones you don't want, and you'll be given the opportunity to delete their files, as well)

No, the system will ask you for the admin password when you do certain things that require system-level permissions. There is no way to disable that, and you shouldn't want to, as it's for your protection.

Nov 28, 2010
located
1. Right click on those folders and select Get Info and then look under the Sharing & Permissions section.

2. Look into the Macintosh HD / Users / folder for user folders. Also take a look at System Preferences > Accounts.

3. Only if you select a password with no characters (possible), but the password dialog will not go away during some application installations, as the password permits the installer to access system folders.

Though you might have some permissions screwup. Hod did you migrate your data from the Windows PC?

Blackspeare

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
"How did you migrate your data from the Windows PC?"

There's software on the Apple website that you download to the Windows PC with instructions----it's pretty straight forward. You select the folders/files you want to migrate and then you use your local Wi-Fi to download from the Windows PC to the Mac. Depending on how many and the size of the folders/files, it could take a while.

And thanks for the information.

Blackspeare

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
"Right click on those folders and select Get Info and then look under the Sharing & Permissions"

Thank you. I opened the "permission" function and gave each user the full right to access all other users (the other users are just my wife and I under various names which must have happened when I migrated data from the two Windows pcs). And now, I am able to delete any user and/or files I don't want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.