multiple versions on sale

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by idontunderstand, May 13, 2008.

1. idontunderstand macrumors newbie

I'm about to buy a 16GB touch for my daughter but am confused about the versions on sale. I've seen model numbers MA627Z0/A & B.

I believe early versions (A?) can have the software upgraded, both the firmware and the January update (for a small fee) but wonder if there were any teething problems on early versions that have been improved in the later (B?) version that make it worth buying? Otherwise it seems the A version is cheaper even after paying for the Jan update...

What do you think?:confused:

2. dagored macrumors 65816

Does not matter. They both end up costing about the same. Same units, just different software setups. One with already active January pack, the other needs to have it activated, by paying Apple a fee.

If you can purchase one cheaper than the other and the $20 for the update is still cheaper, by all means get the cheaper one. It will be the same after the update.

3. idontunderstand thread starter macrumors newbie

4. dagored macrumors 65816

What ever the equivalent to $20 US dollars, I guess. You have me at a disadvantage there. Go to the Apple site, it should be listed.

5. Drucifer macrumors regular

I had the same question a few weeks back when I was looking to purchase my iPod Touch. Turns out the only difference is the new applications offered through the January update.

I ended up buying an early model 16GB for only $290 here in Canada which is really good considering it cost $370 for the new version.

6. idontunderstand thread starter macrumors newbie

I've seen some comments on the screen rendition of black - is this a problem? Were there any other problems with early models that a later model might have sorted besides the software?

7. big-blue-wolf macrumors regular

big-blue-wolf

It was £12.99 when I bought it. Nothing is ever the true dollar-pound exchange rate.