Multiple VOB Files

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by noone, Feb 27, 2008.

1. noone macrumors regular

Is there a way to take multiple VOB files and combine them into one continuously playing file? I ultimately want to burn them to a DVD with menus and chapter markers. Thanks!

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

What happens if you drop them into Toast?

use the code 404SAVE10 to get 10% off, if your gonna buy a copy.

3. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

If you're not shy at the command line, you can use the cat command to do this. I don't know how well it will work, but if it's VOB's that have been ripped, I used to do something similar to this in DOS with no problem.

use the command like this 'cat vob1 vob2 vob3 > reallybigvob' you can even change the file extension to .mpg (which is all a VOB is) and then import it and split it using the program used to create the DVD or something. I don't know how that workflow goes, since I typically just rip and concatenate out to mpg's for storage.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

EDIT: If your ultimate goal is to play it on a DVD player, don't. Note that DVD Player and VLC have no problem in playing a VIDEO_TS folder with multiple VOBs seamlessly.

"Regular" DVD have multiple VOBs per title with menus and chapter markers, so it is not a necessity to combine them first. I fact there is a desire to keep the maximum file size under ~1 GB for compatibility with DVD players.

It's a damn shame that iDVD won't let you add chapter markers and menus to pre-existing VOBs.

EDIT2: http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/dvd-structure.htm

B

5. Queso macrumors G4

Will VisualHub or ffmpegX allow you to convert them to something that can then be imported into iMovie? I know it's a bit long winded, but it should get the job done.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

streamclip is the tool that most people talk about, but you'll end up with generational loss as you have to perform a new MPEG2 compression when you finally go back out to DVD.

B