Multiple Windows Installations on MBP

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by teameurox, Jun 9, 2011.

1. teameurox macrumors regular

I currently have SL, DP4 Lion, and Windows 7 64 schemed on my hard drive using Refit.

Just curious with all the press about Windows 8, when the time eventually comes to beta status, is it possible to have multiple Windows installations? I would really like to beta Windows 8 but don't want to have to give up some what stable Windows 7 install.

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Certainly true if Windows is run in a VM.

A standard/supported Boot Camp setup only supports a single Windows partition and going non-standard (multiple partitions) can lead to some issues.

(e.g. you might no longer be able to boot one or both of your Windows installs as a VM in VMWare or Parallels).

B

4. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

in refit, trying to run a windows installer leads to it loading your original windows partition

at least when you try to do it through USB

5. teameurox thread starter macrumors regular

I'm trying to run local not virtualizing. I no longer have a pc, Like I did for windows 7 betas I had multiple partitions installed on my old XPS for testing. I would be looking not to run it on external drives ( too much of a headache) , just another small partition for the upcoming version of windows

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Part of that will depend if W8 will have better support for GPT. The main challenge with running multiple Windows natively on the Mac is that they rely on MBR, and by the time you add one more partition to a standard Boot Camp partition you have the four partitions MBR will allow.

B