Multiple X11 issues: need help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by slb6r, Nov 28, 2007.

1. slb6r macrumors newbie

Upgraded my PowerBook G4 yesterday from 10.3.9 to 10.5.1 without real problems. I am using X11 regularly, for example gv (ghostview), but it could not open the DISPLAY. So, I installed the X11 version coming with 10.5 DVD. Installed fine, all programs are there, however, I still cannot open any window. Even the xhost command complains:

_X11TransSocketINETConnect() can't get address for 0:6000: nodename nor servname provided, or not known
    xhost: unable to open display "0:0"

Even if I set the DISPLAY variable, it still complains:
    xhost: unable to open display "129.57.83.236:0"

Any ideas?

A less important issue is that X11 creates a second icon in the dock after startup, besides the one I am keeping always in the dock. Read about that earlier with GIMP, but that seemed a GIMP issues at the time.

Thanks for any help in advance!

2. slb6r thread starter macrumors newbie

Figured out the DISPLAY problem with X11, working fine now.

But still have the two X11 icons in my dock when running.
    Any thoughts?

3. riouxr macrumors newbie

Same problem

Hi,

I'm glad you fixed your problem. I have the same issue. Can you tell me how you fixed it? Thanks

Robert

4. doobs macrumors regular

I just ran into this problem where I have the two X11 icons in the dock. I do not keep a X11 icon on the dock, but when I launch GIMP, for example, I have two X11 icons show up in the dock. When I quit GIMP, I have to then quit each of the two X11 icons. This is very annoying...anybody have a solution for this? X11 did not seem to do this prior to my recent re-install of 10.5. Thanks in advance...