Multiport adapter ISSUE

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by macbook123, Mar 23, 2015.

1. macbook123, Mar 23, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2015

macbook123 macrumors 68000

I've been trying to wrap my brain around the fact that Apple's multiport adapter only supports crappy 1080p resolution:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MJ1K2AM/A/usb-c-digital-av-multiport-adapter

For me personally, this adapter would be ideal if I could drive higher resolution monitors I use at work and home. I wonder whether there's a reason this adapter is limited, i.e., whether the USB-C standard as implemented on the Macbook would not allow outputting higher resolution (up to 4k) while simultaneously giving a USB signal and allowing charging?

Thanks for any thoughts you might have.

2. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Let me re-phrase my question: Is there a multiport adapter from *another company* that offers higher resolution output?

3. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

There will be many adapters from many companies, just give it a bit of time.

The MacBook is capable of driving external displays up to 3840x2160

4. actuallyinaus macrumors regular

There will be monitors that directly take USB type-c as the input, and the monitor will act as a hub passing through power and usb 2.0 data (possibly also usb 3.0 data, depending on the resolution).

Though it's possible they just haven't validated it yet.

5. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

I concerns me that Apple doesn't yet advertise an adapter of any kind for a 4k monitor.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Be patient, The computer is not even out yet, and for the most part no other computer makers have USB-C computers available for sale either. The adapters will come, but it takes time.

7. adebookpro macrumors newbie

That's because no adapter is required - USB-C is displayport 1.2 native. If you have an older monitor (i.e. current monitor!) that doesn't have a USB-C connection then you just need something like this:

https://store.google.com/product/usb_type_c_to_displayport_cable