Multiport USB adaptor not detecting USB 3.0 drives

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Ammar666, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Ammar666 macrumors newbie

Ammar666

So this issue has cropped up over the past few months. My Apple VGA Multiport USB adaptor doesn't seem to detect any USB 3.0 drives. I insert them and I see them light up (the power is being delivered), but the MacBook doesn't detect it at all. I have to RESTART the laptop in order for it to work.

I have 3 USB 3.0 drives and 3 USB 2.0. This issue happens only with the 3.0 drives. The 2.0 ones are detected just fine without a restart. What gives?

2. CatBookPro macrumors member

CatBookPro

Are you talking about thumb drives, or USB / disk drives? I've had weirdo stuff happening with USB sticks between OS X vs. Windows... where one OS would work with it vs. another. For example: My rMB "sees" the Verbatim USB stick when booted into Windows 10 but not at all on the Mac OS. I can't even get it to show up in Disk Utility on the Mac :( Works fine in Windows though... the disk-format doesn't seem to matter.

As far as USB disk drives: I use 2 different WD passport drives - Never had a problem with the standard Apple USB-C multiport adapter (with the USB-C charging pass-through / HDMI). I haven't tried the VGA version though...

3. boast macrumors 65816

boast

4. CatBookPro macrumors member

CatBookPro

Yes - 10.11.5... Using only released versions (it's my production machine... so I don't want to mess around with pre-releases)

5. TH3D4RKKN1GH7 macrumors 6502a

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

I've had this problem for months now but it usually starts up after the computer goes to sleep. I'll wake the machine from sleep and all of a sudden it doesn't detect ANY USB 3 devices I attach to it but will send power. Has anyone else had this issue?

6. boast macrumors 65816

boast

Yep. And still not fixed in Sierra Public beta 1

7. objektør macrumors regular

objektør

I don't think it has to do with your adapter. I have the same issue with my usb-c thumb drive and Seagate hdd usb3.0
    But as you mentioned this issue happens only with usb 3.0, not usb 2.0.
    There are several threads on this issue.

8. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

2015 1.2 rMB on 10.10.5 never had any issue with any USB peripheral as yet.

Q-6

9. carestudio macrumors 6502

few things, have you updated the firmware on multiport adapter from Apple? I think they did release it few months back.
    Also, don't use the usb 3.0 drive that draws too much power. On Apple website it clearly said the multiport adapter would not work with G-Tech USB drives.

Instead of g-tech one's, I am using CalDigit's USB-C Tuff drive, it's been working pretty well with the old MacBook 2015 and my new MacBook 2016 in my office. It works with the old MacBook Pro from 2012 too, the regular USB-A port.
    http://www.caldigit.com/tuff/

The Macbook 2015 might still have some bugs on the OS or hardware or firmware...but it did not happen to me that often.

10. Prabas macrumors 6502a

Prabas

I have USB-C to USB adapter from Apple and my USB 3 HDD wasn't working, I had to reboot my Mac for it to work.

11. c0ppo macrumors 6502a

c0ppo

Same thing here. But I'm using Anker usb-c hub, and sometimes it works like a charm, but most times I have to restart my mac in order for it to work.

12. TH3D4RKKN1GH7 macrumors 6502a

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

This is probably the most annoying issue I've ever faced while being an Apple user. Unbelievable this still isn't fixed.

13. misterbig macrumors member

My 2015 Macbook has the exact same issue as well, with the additional bonus that sound sometimes doesn't work after waking from sleep (when I try to adjust the volume via the keyboard I get a speaker icon with a diagonal line through it as if there is no sound card installed). The only way to solve these 2 problems is by rebooting.

It's extremely frustrating that Apple is not able to get their crap together and release software without show stopping bugs like these.

14. objektør macrumors regular

objektør

What I don't understand (among many other things) is the fact that some machines on the same OS version have an issue with usb 3.0 drives while others have not. Can it be a hardware issue with some rMB's/ motherboard which developes over time because of heat or whatever? Or is this completely impossible?
    My rMB is 15 months old and did not have this issue when I just got it. It just developed over time but since I don't use usb drives that often I just don1t know when the issue occurred for the first time. But it seems to me that to start with it sometimes did and sometimes did not have the issue while now I always have to reboot.

15. HiFiGuy528, Jul 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2016

HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

The $79 Apple adapter works without external power. See pic.

Oops! wrong thread. :p

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

16. Mazda 3s macrumors 6502

Mazda 3s

I was going to make a thread about this, but I'm having the EXACT same problem with my USB-C Multiport (HDMI) adapter, and have had the issue since day one. I like everyone else, sometimes it will work, but when it fails to recognize USB devices, the only solution is to restart the computer.

Software update did a firmware update on the adapter a few months ago, but that didn't solve the problem. I'm at a loss here.

17. TH3D4RKKN1GH7 macrumors 6502a

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

Who do we have to yell at to get someone at Apple to see this? I mean, it's ridiculous. Thinking about taking it to the genius bar but they're just going to tell me it's software and send me on my way. I know it.

18. aristobrat macrumors G4

19. Mike Boreham, Aug 10, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2016

Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

Does this from this article from Apple help at all:

"USB hubs and devices

Some USB drives might not appear in the Finder when you plug them in. Try plugging the drive into the adapter before plugging the adapter into your MacBook. Or try connecting the drive through a powered USB A hub."

20. n1tut macrumors regular

Same problem with USB sticks connected via cable or solid connector. However I just plug it in and out until it recognises it, usually three to four times, so do not have to shut down.

Same problem with micro SD cards fitted in a connector.