Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 15, 2005
So, I don't know why this has to be such a pain.

I remember when CDR's first came out, it seemed to a be a bunch easier to simply put a CDR in and then write to it, then a box would pop up saying, you wanna leave this open, or close it out?
Click open and then just keep writing to it.

Now, the only way to seemingly make it really easy just using the OSx is, DISK utility, create an IMAGE and man this thing gets big fast creating essentially the IMAGE size of the disk that is going to be used. 4.7GB DVD, 4.7GB disk image. Seems a waste of space. It creates this HUGE .dmg file on the desktop, or wherever. Does one have to SAVE this file after buring the data, or can one delete it? And then appending, does one have to add to THIS file, or can one simply add to the disk in the same fashion.?

Then, find the stuff you want to archive, go to disk utility, select the folder or items, (burn folders do make this a BIT easier) and then select BURN from the menu bar, put in the MEDIA only AFTER selecting the items, then make sure to select appendable and then click SAVE not BURN.

Where's the OS GUI version of this? Where's the "we make it simple" My grandmother wouldn't ever be able to navigate through this process.

Yeah, writing some stuff to a dvd or cdr ONCE is easy, but who does that. For photo archival and data archival it just doesn't seem to merit the effort.

Is there a much easier way? A much simpler way?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
tivoboy said:
Where's the OS GUI version of this? Where's the "we make it simple" My grandmother wouldn't ever be able to navigate through this process.

Yes, definitely agreed. Been an on and off complaint about OS X for some time. :( If you forum search, you'll find me whining about it, for instance. ;)

WinXP handles the burning process almost identically to OS X. You put the disc in, drag files on, and then click the burn icon. The only difference is that it's in multisession in Windows and single session in OS X. Meaning that in Windows you can put the same disc back in, copy on more stuff, and repeat the process, but you cannot do so in OS X. :(

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 15, 2005
dab!

nabbit!

Is there a way to change the default setting to multisession?
Can I delete the .dmg image file that was BURN SESSION 1, and still add BURN SESSION 2?

And finally, does apple own stock in Verbatim, Sony, Maxxel, Meritline, etc.?

:)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
tivoboy said:
Is there a way to change the default setting to multisession?
Can I delete the .dmg image file that was BURN SESSION 1, and still add BURN SESSION 2?

I don't think you need to keep the old disk images. Also try using the sparse disk image mode. That should solve the size problem, I think? I'm not that experienced at it. It's just too much of a PITA. :(

I think the other thing a lot of people do is throw up their hands and use Toast.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
quigleybc said:
add stuff to em' take stuff out of em' burn it when you're ready.....

My impression is that once you select to burn a burn folder, it still burns single session, and that multisession was only possibly directly from Disk Utility (or a third-party app). Is that not true?

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 15, 2005
would be sweet

that would be sweet if it worked that way, but it doesn's seem to work that way for me. A Multisession burn folder would be really nice and finally make it EASY

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.