Multitask with Youtube impossible?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Halamolo, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Halamolo macrumors regular

How can I play a Youtube video from Safari and then go do something else, while I´m still listening to the Youtube broadcast/video? For example open another Safari page and browse the web, open another application and so on...

Impossible with 4.0?

So is it really multitasking, if you can´t do simple thing like this?

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

The iPod has been able to play music in the background from day 1 but it has never done so with videos. Apple apparently doesn't think it's an important feature.

So to answer your question, 4.0 would allow this to occur, but Apple would have to alter the Youtube app to make it happen.

Given that they never did it in the iPod before, I'm not sure that they're going to start now. So it's a design choice, not a 4.0 problem. Perhaps someone else could design an app for playing Youtube clips in the background. It should be possible.

3. laughingperson5 macrumors 6502

Actually, I've been able to listen to my movies, music videos, TV shows, etc. By placing them in a playlist.

First I'd play a song also in that playlist. Exit the iPod app. And then by double tapping the home button or using the remote on the headphones, I can skip the song and go to the movie.

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Interesting.

So it sounds like they don't care if movies play in the background, they just never went to the trouble of giving us a direct way of doing it. It obviously wasn't something they really thought about much one way or the other, I guess.

5. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

This is more of a user demand issue than a tech problem. You can't do it because no-one's bothered to make it possible. The best thing you can do is send feedback, as pointless as that might be.

6. Halamolo thread starter macrumors regular

I wonder what happens when playing a Youtube video and doubleclicking the "home button", will the Youtube video stop playing?

7. ecks618 macrumors 6502

ecks618

The video pauses until you open YouTube back up and press play. If you switch apps and then go back to YouTube, it will be left at the point that you double clicked the home button.

8. Halamolo thread starter macrumors regular

Oh no, that´s a damn shame. :(

I use Youtube on my iPhone like a radio most of the time. I like to listen to AlexJonesChannel radio broadcast from Youtube when I´m sitting on a subway, a bus or jogging, ´cause there´s no annoying commercial breaks and I can control which videos I want to listen.

I would like to IM at the same time while the video is playing and browse web and use other apps like for example map and running apps.

But I guess this new "multitasking" can´t do everything. :(

9. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Maybe you should just use an actual music playing app to play your music... pandora.. I heart radio... ipod... etc. The video's are designed to play in the background because you typically wouldn't want them to. If I'm watching a video/movie and I need to stop for a second to respond to a text or anything, I wouldn't want the movie to keep playing because I wouldn't want to miss part of the movie. Simple as that. As stated above someone could create an app to accomplish this easily... but I think you'd be better off picking a dedicated music app

10. Halamolo thread starter macrumors regular

You totally misunderstood me.

If I listen to music of course I use the iPod app. That´s not the issue here.

I´m listening to radio podcasts that are uploaded to Youtube without commercial breaks and I can pick myself what videos/podcasts I want to listen to. So I want those playing in the background, so I can do other things while listening.