Multitasking bar contacts

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by moonman239, Sep 17, 2015.

1. moonman239 macrumors 68000

You know how, in iOS8, you could call your favorite contacts from the multitasking bar? Yeah, I didn't use it often, but man - it just seemed more convenient than what they have now. Is there a shortcut I can use to pull up the Siri suggestions, or put the contacts back on the multitasking bar?

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

The shortcut for Siri suggestions is basically swiping left while being on the main home page. No way to add them to recent apps screen. Alternatively you can perhaps get a widget for favorites and access them through the widget in Notification Center.

3. mpavilion macrumors 6502a

I don't understand why they didn't also add Contact Suggestions to the pull-down Spotlight page (only App Suggestions). There's room there for another row. The "dueling Spotlight pages" are so random - it feels like they really couldn't make up their mind what to do. I am sure it will be further tweaked.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

I they are keeping the pull down just for search purposes I guess.

5. moonman239 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah, honestly, I see no reason to have gone and changed a perfectly functioning multitasking screen.

But, I guess you can't please everyone.

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

Technically that part (the recent/favorite contacts) was only there for one iOS version and likely was realized that the placement didn't make as much usability/design sense as they originally thought.

7. mpavilion macrumors 6502a

I liked the contacts better there, too - you could quickly access from within an app.

I happen to use a Launcher widget with a few quick contacts (as CD M suggested above), but I liked iOS8's native / more robust approach to this problem.

8. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

A true "favourites" section isn't fully missing. They moved it to 3D Touching the Phone app icon in the home screen on the 6s and 6s+ since 3D Touch is really the future of iPhones.

Phones without it like mentioned already just get recent contacts in the new Proactive Search screen. (Left of page 1 home screen)

Sucks for people who liked it in the app switcher, but WAY quicker for people with new "s" phones. By the time the 7 rolls around this time next year the majority will probably all be on 3D Touch iPhones.

9. mpavilion macrumors 6502a

Although (as I mentioned above) the old way allowed you to access recents/favorites without exiting to the home screen.

10. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

If you're in an app though isn't that what the share sheet is for? (Say you're in Safari and you find a web link you want to sent it to someone.)

11. mpavilion macrumors 6502a

I'm thinking of when you're in an app and want to call or text someone. I admit that exiting to home screen does not add hours to your day. But it was a nice shortcut, especially when driving with nav app open (and stopped at a light), etc.

12. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

You could simply use "Hey Siri" if you're driving and "need" to make a call. Hands free.

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

You might want to look into a widget that provides favorites right in the notification center--accessible from basically any screen (including the lock screen if you set it up that way) and can provide a similarly fast way of going about it all.

14. moonman239 thread starter macrumors 68000

My only complaint is that they could have kept the switcher and kept the 3D touching thing.