Multitasking. Close multiple apps at a time

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by thedeejay, Oct 21, 2013.

1. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

Well one good thing is you can close 2-3 apps at a time with iOS 7.

2. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

While you can do that in iOS 7, I'd say the closing in iOS 6 and before (once you already entered "wiggle" mode) was rather quick too, especially when doing it for many apps (as you can simply keep on quickly tapping in one place basically).

4. Oui macrumors 6502

You can indeed, just swipe up on two apps.

5. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I apologize, didn't know.
    Just tried and it works (two at a time).

6. 5t3f4n macrumors regular

Actually it's three at a time, if you align them properly.

7. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

You were always able to close multiple applications in iOS 4 - 6

You just had to press the close icons at the same time.

8. chabig macrumors 68040

You're not closing anything. Those apps aren't running. All you are doing is removing them from the list of recently used apps.

9. Altis macrumors 68000

In iOS 6 or 7? In 6, it cleared them from memory. iOS would often freeze an app in place, and you could return to it. If you force closed it, it had to reload things (safari web pages for example).

Multitasking is slower on iOS 7 than 6 anyways as you can see less opened apps at once and the animations take a while.

10. TC400 macrumors 6502a

TC400

You can even close 3 at a time!!!! I just found this out the other day. :cool:

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

While some/most might not be running, some can very well be. Not to mention those that might be stuck in some weird state and might need to be restarted, which is something that can and does happen at least occasionally.

12. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

No App runs unless it's the current App being used. Apps my call pre defined API's when in in the Taskbar.

Here is a MUST read for all explaining how iOS handles "multitasking".

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

You do realize that pretty much all apps can run for up to 10 minutes in the background if they request that, and at least some if not quite a few certainly do that. That alone already disproves "no apps runs unless it's the current one being used". Furthermore some apps have the ability (approved by Apple) to run in the background for longer/indefinitely in some sense, like some VoIP type of apps (Skype for example). The very reading on the subject that you link to explains all that.

14. notrack macrumors 6502

According to that article, I think "all apps" istn't correct. Some apps are allowed and do run in background. Mannually closing them would make sense for some users. The close-all function would be a good way to minimise the inconvenience that comes with that.