Multitasking does not slow down ios4 on iPhone 3G (Homescreen background does)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Brandon263, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Brandon263 macrumors 6502

Just for fun, I jailbroke my iPhone 3g with redsn0w and added multitasking and homescreen wallpapers. It was a bit slower, though not significantly so.

I redid the jailbreak, only adding multitasking, and it now seems there is no perceptible speed difference. I'm curious to know what other people's experiences were.

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

There was no reason for Apple not to allow this for the 3G, just like there was no reason not to have the battery percentage on 3G like the 3GS.

3. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I'm not buying it. I mean, I'm sure you can effectively multitask a few apps, especially if they're "small" ones. What it really comes down to is the issue of memory. Apple pretty much designed the iOS to handle OS tasks plus a single third-party app with 128 megs of RAM. There just isn't much left over. Heck, I remember that with memory-hungry apps, sometimes the OS would run out of RAM with just one app open on the 3G. Sometimes you had to restart to quickly deallocate enough RAM to run certain games and apps. I am intensely skeptical that you could freely and stably multitask with the RAM provided. Feel free to post videos though.

4. hexonxonx macrumors 601

It's working great for me too on my 3G. I have multitasking and wallpapers enabled. I've used it for almost two full days like this now. I am very surprised.

5. Brandon263 thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess you might have had a different experience. But did you have ONLY multitasking enabled, i.e. homescreen background and other redsn0w options disabled? I found that the phone was slow when the homescreen background and the multitasking was enabled, but found no speed difference with only multitasking enabled. I have Sims 3, NYT, OED, Ramp Champ, iPod, Stanza, Safari, Messages, iPhone, Clock and Mail running (or rather suspended) in multitasking but my phone's running quite smoothly.

Do you have the homescreen background enabled as well?

6. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I do. Wall paper on the home screen and lock screen.

It's been two days now and I've used the Twitter app and the Pandora app both in the background with no problems. Those are the only two apps that I use so far that have been upgraded.

I did noticed one minor quirk, and that is with my XM skydock app. When listening to any channel in the app, there is a blue animated background. I noticed tonight that the background is gone and there is only a solid black background now. I may restore and this time try the OS without backgrounds. It's not an issue for me to be without backgrounds, I just want all my apps to work the way they are supposed to. Besides, I'm leaving soon for the Apple store and I really don't plan on using my 3G much anymore.

7. Brandon263 thread starter macrumors 6502

Good luck at the store!

The homescreen background was a real resource hog for me, but maybe it was a problem because I run a lot of games. I need to find a way to convince my parents that the iPhone 4 is a necessity...

8. Voltik macrumors newbie

The home screen background made no difference at all with multitasking enabled. The ram is still very low around 35 MB showing on sbsettings. There is not much you can do to fix this unless buying a newer iphone. If anyone has found some type of solution, then please post.

9. Brandon263 thread starter macrumors 6502

That's a bit strange. Which jailbreak app did you use, and did you disable the background on jailbreak? The background takes a lot of resources because of shadingm textures, etc.

10. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

When I only had multitasking enabled and not the background image it slowed my iPhone 3G down considerably.

11. Brandon263 thread starter macrumors 6502

Maybe it's just different experiences. People should really try enabling multitasking using redsn0w, though. Maybe it'll work for them. Yay for Dev-Team!

http://wikee.iphwn.org/howto:rs9

12. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

I have wallpaper (home screen and lock screen) enabled for a week and no problems with my 8gb 3G, but I didn't enabled multitasking.

13. neenja macrumors 6502

Phone broke so using an older 16gb 3g. I jailbroke with redsn0w and enabled homescreen+multitasking and noticed a lot of lag. Restored, jailbroke again but this time did not enable homescreen wallpaper. The speed is perfectly normal now.

So for me, Multitasking only did the trick.