Multitasking finally on YouTube

Discussion in 'iPad' started by The Game 161, Mar 22, 2016.

1. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Took them long enough but it's finally here.

2. mrklaw macrumors 65816

really? What form - side by side or PiP or both?

I still want portrait top/bottom split screen which would be better for video though

3. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Slide over and split view. I'm very pleased with this update.

4. LatestOne macrumors member

LatestOne

Yup me too:)

5. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

It would still have been nicer if YouTube had included PiP. I think it was left off so that they can charge for YouTube Red which permits the app to play audio only in the background. Seems underhanded to limit an iOS feature to their paid option.

6. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

You can already listen to YouTube audio in the background. You just need use safari rather than the app. You can have the audio playing after you exit the app.

7. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

Hmm, I just tried playing a YouTube video in safari and it stopped playing when i hit the home button. I'm on iOS 9.3 with an Air 2. There is an app called YouPlayer that does go into PiP mode when you leave it. Regardless, it's nice now that the official YouTube app does Slide Over and Split View. It's just that PiP would have also been nice and there doesn't seem to be a technical reason for it to have not been included.

8. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

You need to go into control centre and press play on the audio controls and it starts playing again. You are free to go into any app apart from safari and it will keep on playing in the background.

9. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

I thought feature of letting you continue to hear the audio when you press home was for YouTube Red users?
    It works for me but I have YouTube Red.

10. JD2015 macrumors 6502

Apple should make this a compulsory feature for all apps to have PiP (where applicable) and slide over/split screen.

11. Speechless macrumors 6502

ALL OF THIS.

12. Cakefish macrumors 6502

Cakefish

A paid option that isn't even available outside one single country... c'mon Google. Not good enough.

13. Royksöpp macrumors 6502

Royksöpp

I've been using an app called pro tube that has had multitasking enabled since the beginning. They also integrated force touch when the iPhone 6s came out.

image.png

14. A.R.E.A.M. macrumors regular

nothing is better than the original. i am happy to see youtube supporting split view. i used it today and it was just amazing... :)

15. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

And in other news, Google Docs was updated and still no split view.

16. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

They also have a clunky UI and the commenting system is a little crappy. Can't like or respond to comments

17. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Agreed. Can't believe YouTube did it for so long..

18. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

Ok, you're correct. You can restart the audio of a YouTube video from the control panel. It also takes two attempts to reach the YouTube site in safari. It always asks me to open the app first, then when I try a second time, Safari loads the site. This whole process is far from elegant tho. Implementing PiP sure seems much easier, but apparently they don't think so.

19. yep-sure macrumors 6502

yep-sure

I agree, anything that uses a video player API should have compulsory PiP functionality.

Also what really annoys me is that most of my YouTube watching is done by embedded videos in website. The PiP works with these videos, except if you navigate away from the page. So it's almost pointless having this function. You open the embedded video in PiP to watch while you do other things, but you can't because you need to keep that webpage open.

20. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Yeah it's not straight forward but it works. You can also use this method to run YouTube audio in the background if you want to switch the screen off.

21. Royksöpp macrumors 6502

Royksöpp

'
    Still better than the crappy official youtube app.

22. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

I actually like the YouTube app better now. They've really made improvements last few updates. Just recently went back to YouTube after being on protube for awhile and I can't look at protube the same way. It just seems like a mess now

23. Royksöpp macrumors 6502

Royksöpp

I'll have to check YouTube out. It's been a while.