Multitasking Gestures for iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by AdeFowler, Oct 12, 2011.

1. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Do Multitasking Gestures work on iPad 1 after installing iOS 5 or just iPad 2?

Thanks

2. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

3. AdeFowler thread starter macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Shame, but thanks.

4. akm3 macrumors 68020

Can you still use Xcode to enable them on an iPad 1 running iOS 5?

5. Onemorerun macrumors member

Let me know if you try to enable in Xcode

Hey, please let me know if you try and enable in xcode and it works. I found a great video here: http://www.tabletinaminute.com/ . But I am going to hold off on it until I hear if it still works now with the new release.

I find it a real bummer that IPAD has them deactivated. I hope APPLE did it over hardware/software concerns and not just a way to get you to upgrade to an IPAD 2.

Thanks.

6. AdeFowler thread starter macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Apparently not, which seems a shame as it worked well on my original iPad.

7. tsekh macrumors member

It's a shame. Another unnecessary and artificial feature differentiation imposed by Apple. Both iPad and iPad 2's touch panels support 10-point multi-touch. I have to say, after using it for a day, the new multitasking gestures are very natural and convenient to use on the iPad 2. It's a shame that they chose not to put it on iPad 1.

8. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

I am baffled as to why they disabled some of the gestures on the ipad 2 that the developer tweak let you use. that was a no brainer. Who didn't like that? Also to pull them off the ipad 1 completely makes no sense. They worked fine!! It is now hard to get used to being without them.

9. jivemaster macrumors member

Did any of the iOS 5 beta versions for the iPad 1 support multi touch gestures?

10. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I have been using gestures via xcode since I got my iPad 2 back in June, but I have to say the integrated implementation in iOS 5 is much smoother and quicker (I realise this isn't directly related to the OP, but it isn't worth creating a new thread about). But I agree about it feeling so natural. Any time I would pick up other people's iPads, I would instinctively try to use gestures only to be shot down by the fact no one had it.

11. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

For me, the gestures are a great idea, but have problems in practice.

Most notably, you have no idea what apps are open, or in what order, so you just have to keep swiping to find them. So you end up swiping across paused games, sites you'd viewed ages ago etc. in order to find the app you're looking for. It'd be much better if the multi-tasking bar (or something like it) appeared while you were swiping so you could see where in the 'list' the app you're looking for is.

Also, if you're swiping across any apps which 'fix' the orientation, it gets weird. If you're in portrait mode, and swipe to an app which is 'fixed' in landscape, you then have to swipe up/down to get to the next app, swiping right/left will bring up the multi-tasking bar! Even weirder, with some orientations (for instance if the app is 'landscape right' but you're holding the iPad 'landscape left') you might have to swipe left to go right and right to go left!

12. shandyman Suspended

What gestures got disabled on the iPad 2? I thought they were all there, swipe up for multitasking, swipe left & right to switch between apps and pinch to home...

13. mrboult macrumors 6502

mrboult