Multitasking great but a pig to close at times!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aibo82, Jun 27, 2010.

1. aibo82 macrumors 6502

Hi

The way multitasking is done running just key APIs is fine but im sick to death of holding my finger down 3 secs to get the little red button up to close one!

for the life of me why did not apple chose to use more screen space for task swithing as the app is useless when you double click the home button anyway!

I think it would of been better as verticle list with close spots already at the side and a button to close all tasks for the end of the day!

Its a real pig to keep double tapping holding then closeing 1 by 1 and scrolling to find the next! they have all that space to do more like lists or expose!

2. rywat macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3gs: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Don't close them.

3. aibo82 thread starter macrumors 6502

Some you have to I still find some eating my battery or just like to start my app from the begining!

4. xmtgx macrumors regular

Only thing i would suggest to them is to have ones that are actively running, GPS apps, pandora while playing music, moved to the front of the que, or have some type of symbol to show they are currently running.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

There does seem to be an issue here with at least some of those apps... with the NPR News app (and possibly others), if you turn it on, start streaming (it doesn't obey system-wide stream controls; maybe this is the issue), let it background, and then later stop it, it messes up the system mixer so that the iPod's volume is partially muted until you kill the NPR app, at which time the iPod volume immediately restores to normal. So even though it's not streaming, it is still somehow affecting the system from the background.

As far as "needing" to close apps for speed, I'm less sure. Guitar Hero for instance lags more on the 3GS w/ 4.0 than it did with 3.1.2, but I'm not so clear "closing" apps via the switcher helps much.

6. LoganT macrumors 68020

They aren't taking up battery life. And if it takes you 3 seconds of holding for the red minus sign to come up, there's something wrong with your phone.

7. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

The apps shouldn't kill your battery if your not accessing them. Because the iOS suspends the app in the background so that it doesn't use battery life untill you access it.

8. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

Backgrounder > Apples so called "multiple tasking"
    I can wait till a jailbreak for iPhone 4 is released.