Multitasking - How much is too much?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ryanbeljan, Feb 9, 2011.

1. ryanbeljan macrumors newbie

I just got Verizon iPhone 4 the other day. Love it. My quick question is:

How many apps running in the background are too many? Every app you launch gets stored into RAM and appears in the "multitask" window when you double tap the Home button. Currently there are 32 apps in there for me, and I haven't even loaded up on fun games! App Store, Calculator, Maps, Clock, ect...

When (if at all) will I experience slow downs? Can I truly quit all background apps with one click?

Thanks a lot!

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Depends on what kind of apps they are. Some apps are more memory intensive than others, some use the internet, etc, etc.

That's more than I would have in my multitask bar. But again, it depends on the app.
    Again, it epends on the apps. I reboot, and clear my multitask at least once a day.

To clear the multitask, tap and hold one of the apps until it jiggles, then tap the X to remove it from multitask.

3. ryanbeljan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks James, I guess this will be one of those things where "we'll cross that bridge when we come to it". If I experience any slow downs, I know what to try first.

I knew about the technique to close just one app at a time, however I was wondering about clearing ALL of them at once. I guess the answer to that is to turn off the phone and power it back on...

4. WiiDSmoker macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

Or Jailbreak :D

5. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Powering off the phone will not clear the multitask bar.

6. ryanbeljan thread starter macrumors newbie