Multitasking Hunch.....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Excellerator, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Excellerator macrumors 6502a

I know Apple keeps saying they won't be adding multitasking to the current iPhones but what if that was a feature of iPhone 2009? If the rumors are true then the new iPhone will have a faster processor and double the RAM. That would be the perfect combination for mulitasking. It would be a great upgrade path for current owners too. I know I would upgrade for that.

2. Lenxal macrumors regular

Its been talked about..
    but I'll still upgrade anyways.
    to me when people said just because they got a 3g and they are fine with upgrading to the new one, I find that funny.
    IMO, Iphone and Iphone 3g are the same but the 3g just have a couple of more new stuff because of 3g.
    So 3g to 2009 would be a better upgrade than 1g to 3g.

3. Mjmar macrumors 65816

4. bmms8 macrumors 68020

i think they would need the same os but a different way to implement the backgrounding process.

5. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

Yep, I believe multitasking will hit the iPhone between now and 2011. But Apple will have to come up with a nice UI to handle it.

What would be great is if Apple came up with a really cool paradigm for switching between open windows. Maybe when you hit a button or an on screen icon your window could minimize to something that resembled little cards that you could swipe through. You could also close each of those when you're done with them. Oh wait, Apple implemented that in Mobile Safari.

Personally, I think Apple's multitasking will be completely transparent to the user.

6. funrush macrumors regular

The OS does backgrounding already. iPod + Playing a game + receiving push email + receiving phone calls and text messages.

7. Excellerator thread starter macrumors 6502a

Really all they need to do is make it so you double tap the home button while on the springboard and do as Safari does with the windows.

8. Goona macrumors 68020

Goona

9. drakeshipway macrumors 6502

drakeshipway

You press something, or do a gesture & a cover flow of open programs comes up.

I could see Apple doing that. Simply because Apple has a weird obsession with cover flow :p

This sounds cool too, squeeze the iPhone or something (like mighty mouse) and it opens an Expose like screen.

10. svndmvn Guest

since holding the home button doesn't force quit the apps I suppose they could implement a limited form of multitasking allowing one to hold the home button and a springboard-like pop up with icons representing your apps could be available, switching between apps would be simpler than swiping through pages and let's say they limit that "springboard" to 16 apps, probably including the ones that already run in the background on 3.0 beta, 2.2.1 etc
    or, there's always a dock-like thing but having a small screen,especially in portrait mode I see it a little harder.

11. bmms8 macrumors 68020

they could implement something like this actually... some type of touch sensors on the sides... i love how it works with the mighty mouse..

12. nfl46 macrumors 603

Yeah, I think multitasking is going to be on the new iPhone. It'll have a better processor and double the ram...this should be enough to handle multitasking.

Of course, theres things in 3.0 that we are not going to know about until tomorrow...I DOUBT Apple told us EVERY big feature thats gonna be in 3.0...duh.

13. cmgerber macrumors member

Multitasking kills too much battery life doesn't it? That is why they keep saying they will not do it. How will they get around the draining of battery life with multitasking?

14. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Please don't drink the Kool-Aid. It's like when Jobs used the battery as an excuse for not having 3G at first. There is a piece of the truth so he can't get sued, but not the whole truth. Never, ever take Jobs' words at face value. He's a salesman.

Yes, a highly active background app can chew up the battery. Examples incude Apple's own iPod player, and to a lesser extent, push email. Yet Apple doesn't ban those tasks... they simply explain that they are optional and use more power.

If you play music in the background, you expect your battery to run down faster. The same applies to anyone using Pandora in the background on other phones... but it's your choice.

And of course Apple has to keep the phone and SMS / MMS clients "running". Those are examples of most multitasking: apps waiting on user or network input, but not using any cpu cycles.

Again, that's true of most Palm apps... they're just on the deck, using no cycles, but waiting for you to bring them forward.

The number one reason Apple doesn't like multitasking is because they didn't put enough RAM in the phone. A close second reason is because they feared slowdowns in the UI. Stability worries would come next. Battery usage is pretty low on the reason list.

15. propropro macrumors regular

16. nfl46 macrumors 603

I definitely agree, especially with the "they didn't put enough RAM in the phone."

Since the new one supposedly has more ram, we should see multitasking in the 3.0 software. Of course, Apple wouldn't tell us this (when they were introducing 3.0), b/c we wasn't suppose to know about the new iPhone w/ more ram, etc, which could support multitasking.

I don't see any reason why multitasking shouldn't be in the new iPhone since it'll have more ram! If BB can do it and Palm, then so should the new iPhone. I'm sure they'll have have around 256 MB or ram or so.

17. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

All I see is that a couple of technically ignorant posters claimed that sleeping background processes use up battery just by existing.

Everyone has the usual just-got-a-new-phone battery life: we don't fully charge them first, we stream YouTube videos and surf the web all day, we send texts and turn on constant email fetching.