Multitasking iPad=Fall. Why?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DotCom2, Apr 12, 2010.

1. DotCom2 macrumors 68030

What do you guys think is the reason we iPad owners have to wait until Fall to get OS 4.0 when the iPhone gets it this summer since they run the same OS? That seems so weird to me. :confused:

2. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

Because there are subtle changes to the os to be able for the iPad to use. That's why iPhone is on 3.1.3 and we are currently on 3.2. So for. Os 4 it I'll most likely be iPhone 4.0 iPad 4.1 or something along those lines. And in all honesty it's not that big of a deal to wait, most of e features in 4.0 aren't mind blowing to not be able to wait.

3. normwood macrumors 6502a

normwood

Plain and simple. So you will want to buy an iPhone that will work with 4.0.

Steve

4. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

I agree its just probably more complicated to integrate into the ipad hardware, since the ipad itself is more complicated than the iphone.

There also is a theory that it is taking longer because the ipad will get extra features, although I'm not too sure that will be true. It would be nice though if the multitasking for the ipad included a way to have multiple windows open at the same time for you to view them. Or a more fully functioning file system. Or a way to print!

5. DotCom2 thread starter macrumors 68030

Well multitasking IS mind blowing for me at least.

We can only hope I guess!

Yeah, although multitasking on the iPhone is not as essential as it is on the iPad for me.

6. sishaw macrumors 65816

sishaw

Unfortunately, this is probably correct. Apple doesn't want to cannibalize new iPhone sales.

7. DotCom2 thread starter macrumors 68030

I have an iPhone 3GS. From what I understand, 4.0 will fully function on this model correct?

8. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I think it’s more a question of engineering resources at the moment. We all know a new iPhone is due out in June/July. That’s their focus right now.

Gruber noted that the team that developed the iPad was kept in secret away from the iPhone OS team. iPhone OS 4.0 was well into development before the iPad was even announced.

At some point, they’ll get caught up and hopefully software updates will then remain concurrent.

The currently announced features of 4.0 will fully function on the 3GS. Of course, Apple reserves the right to introduce something new that will be a part of 4.0 which won’t run on the 3GS because of hardware, software or marketing choices (iChat with front facing cameras, etc).

9. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

10. BruiserBear macrumors 6502a

That makes no sense at all.

They're keeping the OS4 update off the iPad for an extra 3 months to help iPhone sales? Haha, no.

11. tuna macrumors 6502

It's not harder to implement on the ipad, I don't know where u guys are getting that bthe ipad has the exact same internals as the iPhone 3gs and likely the next gen iPhone. I would guess that's it's taking longer because (1) they are implementing ipad specific software features that will make it a less iPod touch like and a little more useable in it's larger form factor, and (2) because they are timing it to coincide with some hardware revision, whether it's a small price drop only or maybe it gets some new features like front camera.

12. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I doubt the iPad really cannibalizes sales from the iPhone. Its too large to be a competing device. Not to mention, if you really want an iPhone, waiting two or so months isn't going to stop you.

Fair is fair, you guys got a new OS first so now you have to wait while we get an OS first.

13. admanimal macrumors 68040

What he said.

Why is it so hard for people to grasp that the last significant iPhone/iPod Touch update of iPhone OS (3.1) was in September, whereas the first version of the OS for an entirely new device (i.e. the iPad) was a week ago. See that huge time difference there? Even though the OS's have a lot in common across devices, it obviously takes a good amount of time to test and refine it on another device, especially the UI.

14. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Apple rushed iPad to market. They knew the biggest news was the form factor and that a few OS mis-steps would not hurt them, unless they came late to a party somebody else had started (like netbooks). Apple is managing resources and devoting their 4.0 team to the upcoming iPhone launch. They will then turn their attention to iPad. Meanwhile they can continue to sell iPads pretty much as fast as they can make them. If they start to see sales siphoned off to a competitor over something like multitasking or file handling, Apple can readjust their schedule. I don't think they will have to. While I'd rather have those things now, at least they announced that when 4.0 comes out I won't have to pay to upgrade.

While I don't like waiting any more than anyone else, I don't think I have much choice (without jailbreaking).

15. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

As quick as it is on the iPad to close and reopen apps what is going to be so mind blowing for you when multitasking is available? Not challenging your opinion but more so just curious.

16. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

My cynical guess is that they are going to charge for the update on the iPad and don't want that bit of bad news to cloud the good press of the release.

17. PCClone macrumors 6502a

because they will be releasing a new iPad that have a camera, built in iChat and 512G of storage for $499 including 3G.

18. BruiserBear macrumors 6502a

It has already been made clear that iPad owners will not pay for the 4.0 update.

19. alent1234 macrumors 603

ipad is an itouch with a bigger screen

the iPod launch event is in September along with an updated version of iTunes and iPhone OS so Apple will probably use the event for the iPad as well. expect OS 4 in June for the new iPhone and 4.1 in September adding a few features like last year's Monocle

20. normwood macrumors 6502a

normwood

Some of these folks think differently:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=892965

In my particular case....once my 3g iPad shows....I will seldom use my iPhone for anything other than making calls and texting on occasion. I already carry a man-bag (Timbuk2) so I intend to carry my iPad virtually everywhere.

I have actually tossed around the idea of getting a dumb phone when my iPhone (3g) contract is up in June and get the $30/month unlimited data plan on my iPad. The only thing that is holding me back is that I LOVE the way my iPhone deals with contacts and the address book.

Based on the thread I referenced....I am not alone.

Steve

21. normwood macrumors 6502a

normwood

1) No such thing as an "iTouch".
    2) No, the iPad is not an iPod Touch with a bigger screen.
    3) Capital letters at the beginning of sentences are recommended....and preferred by most.

Steve

22. PCClone macrumors 6502a

What???? The iPad is an iTouch with a bigger screen? Why is this important information just coming out????

23. sfwalter macrumors 68000

sfwalter

In my opinion, the developers who worked on 3.2 were stuck in a building in Cupertino along with the rest of the iPad team. They worked on 3.2 in seclusion. The 3.2 team is now being brought into the 4.0 fold. The first task of theirs is to merge the 3.2 codebase into 4.0.

In short we have to wait because of Apple's secretive nature.

At this point us devs can't even target iPad apps for 4.x, probably because a build isn't available yet.

24. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Yes there is. Its acceptable to call the iPod Touch the iTouch in the same way its acceptable to call the MacBook Pro MBP. Or in your signature's case, its acceptable to call the 16 Gigiabyte iPhone 16gig. Looking further at your signature, there is no "nano" or "shuffle", but there is an iPod nano and an iPod shuffle.
    Yes it is
    You did not capitalize the "B" in MacBook in your signature.

25. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Apple users are the most impatient users. We don't have multitasking for YEARS, and when they finally announce it people get all crabby because it will take a while to roll out to our devices. Some of you are impossible to satisfy!

Compare Android copy-paste to iPhone copy-paste. The iPhone copy and paste is insanely better than Androids implementation. Expect the same from multitasking, and thus it is worth the wait.