Multitasking - iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ejfontenot, Oct 24, 2015.

1. ejfontenot macrumors 6502

ejfontenot

I am kicking the tires on replacing my 11" air for an iPad Pro next year, but had one question. When using multitasking on the iPad, can you have two instances of the same app open. So for example, can I have two Word documents open at the same time? I have come to love the split screen aspect of El Capitan, just wondering if the iPad works that way. My current iPad doesn't support multitasking.

Thanks!

2. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

not that i am aware of. yet.

i too would like FaceBook app open twice with 2 separate accounts logged in.

3. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

You can do that with the FB app and a web browser...

But not two windows of the same app like Word or Excel or Pages. Only one instance of each app.

Google just added iOS 9 multitasking to Chrome, so at least you can pull up two side-by-side browsers if necessary (Safari on one side, Chrome on the other).

Perhaps it's coming in the future, but I'd guess not until iOS 10 at the earliest.

4. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

im aware of that, but its the app which i mention, i'd like to do :)

there's also a couple other instances i'd like more than 1 session of an app open at once.

5. ejfontenot thread starter macrumors 6502

ejfontenot

I guess I could open the word app and office365 in safari. That would work. I figured that would've have been the case, but had to ask.

6. jmeas macrumors regular

jmeas

This isn't supported yet (I tried it in the store). I wonder if we'll see it in future versions of iOS? I would guess that the next version(s) will be about adding more functionality to the OS to open up new use cases for the iPad Pro; if that ends up being the case, then this sort of update would make sense. The current behavior of the multitasking system seems like it could support this in a way that wouldn't confuse users, I think. I wonder how many changes would need to be made to the OS?

Here's to hoping!

7. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I think it is bad idea....like you said you want to give up Macbook for iPad with split view then Macbook starts to lose sale in the future.