All iPads Multitasking is a huge waste of space on iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Ashin, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

iOS7 the tabs are just TOO big... I'd love the multitasking screen to have smaller tiles so we can see multiple apps, and actually make use of the bigger screen. It's not so bad on the iPhone, but on the iPad it's just silly really.

Anyone else agree?

2. lympero macrumors 6502a

lympero

Sad but true. I was waiting for ipad 5 for like forever but ended up buying note 10.1 2014 just for the multitasking. They should introduce an ios specifically designed for ipad asap.

3. joshdammit macrumors 6502

It's no secret that iOS 7's interface wasn't optimized for iPads, which is kind of embarrassing on Apple's part. The folders are another culprit, as you tap on one and it fills almost the entire screen and yet doesn't take advantage of the screen real estate whatsoever. The Music app is another offender, as it looks like what happens when you open a smartphone app on an Android tablet; the interface is merely stretched out, without any visible adjustments.

It also doesn't seem to run as well on the iPad 3 (maybe it's better on the 4.) It still runs decently and I don't have any problem with it, but now my iPad runs more like a high-end Android tablet. ;)

Overall, I'm happy with iOS 7 - even on my iPad - but I really hope Apple releases a "touch-up" patch for the iPad eventually.

4. JulianL macrumors 65816

It's not just the iPad version, Apple still have a lot of work to do on fine details of iOS 7 in general. Bits of skeuomorphism still lurking in a few apps and the universal back gesture implemented almost nowhere are two things that come to mind. The devil really is in the details and I suspect that there are so many details left to complete that many things will still be left undone when the next iOS 7 release, which I assume will accompany the new iPads, is pushed out.

It's going to take more than one update before iOS starts to feel coherent and complete. Personally I don't mind that as long as I feel that Apple are moving forward towards a good end result.

I'm also very happy with iOS on my iPad so I do have confidence that where Apple is headed is a good way to go, we just need to be patient.

5. preyan macrumors 6502

preyan

I think the word multitasking is misused. Multitasking is the efficiency of doing multiple tasks at the same time (or minimal time between both). Going completely out of one screen and them opening another app without having any view of the previous app is not multitasking. Call it screen swapping or whatever.

I see multitasking similar to when I am editing videos. 2 screens or one screen split to view 2 apps.

Anyway, I do agree. It is dumb in ios 7 for iPads. It also take me longer to close multiple apps as opposed to the previous pressing on the minus in milli seconds to close all the apps. Now it's a swipe. Before it was a simple touch, hence being faster.

Apple is sadly taking a backseat with technology.

6. rovex macrumors 65816

Yep
    It's so un intuitive, it's easier to close the app and switching from the home screen.

Very disappointing. There has to be an ipad io7 soon

7. lewisd25 macrumors 6502a

My belief is that they are deliberately holding back a more advanced version of iOS 7 for iPad so that they can introduce new iPad specific features on Tuesday...I hope.

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Afraid that's not happening. They couldn't release a significant OS update like that without first releasing developer previews, and no such preview has been released.

9. joshdammit macrumors 6502

Which apps? All of the apps that come with iOS 7 were completely changed (as far as visuals go.) The only ones that haven't been are Find My Friends, Remote, and the iLife/iWork suite. I don't consider those part of iOS at its core, although I do wish Apple would've revamped iWork/iLife seeing as how they released new iPhones that can download those apps for free.

What's wrong with the universal back gesture? I didn't really understand your comment about it. I use it all the time and enjoy it.

Aside from the bugs, iOS 7 is pretty spectacular for iPhones.

(Note, I'm not trying to be confrontational in my questions. I'm honestly interested in hearing your take on it.)

I'm glad you have a positive attitude about it, unlike a lot of the people on here who are sharpening their pitchforks and lighting their torches. I might not see eye to eye with you on how "complete" iOS 7 is (I personally think it feels coherent and complete enough for launch) but that doesn't really matter because, as you said, all that matters is Apple's moving forward. I don't mind when Apple makes mistakes (within reason) as long as they fix it in a timely manner.

10. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

iOS 7 on iPad was clearly an afterthought

so much wasted space

11. bobright macrumors 601

Can one of you guys post a screenshot of how this looks? I'll be getting a new iPad soon curious what you guys are talking about.

12. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I agree on calling it app switching versus true multi tasking. It is pretty easy and seamless though and I like the iOS 7 gesture system for managing all of that. So, it's still a good thing. But, it's not real multi tasking.

13. tworth23 macrumors regular

Wasted space

Here is pic of wasted space in app switcher

Attached Files:

14. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Multitasking, in my mind, is stuff like if I start downloading a large file in Dropbox app, I switch to Safari, and the file keeps downloading in the background. I don't care so much whether I can see multiple apps on screen at once, but I'd like it if things like this worked seamlessly. Right now I'm never sure which tasks/apps I can safely switch away from, and which ones will stop if I do.

15. preyan macrumors 6502

preyan

The world has evolutionised. Your theory is true but primitive in this day and age. It's like blackberry, Apple and orange were only fruits before :D Now we've come to accept them as companies.

And your example above. You are essentially doing a single task at a time. Go to Dropbox and download then go to a different app (and out of DB) and do whatever.

Multitasking should be like, when you're cooking and stirring the pot with one hand and drinking a glass of wine with the other hand :D

16. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I think our difference lies in our perception of WHO should be doing the multitasking. In my example, the tablet is doing multiple things at once -- downloading a file in Dropbox while showing me a completely unrelated page in Safari, or perhaps even calculating the trajectory of Angry Birds I'm shooting across the screen. Just like your cook stirring a pot while drinking wine.

But *I* don't particularly want to multitask. I like doing things one at a time. I want the computer to multitask, not me.

17. bobright macrumors 601

I see what you guys are saying yeah the bottom switcher should have more than 3 freakin icons. Does iOS7 still support the swiping gestures--does a swipe up with four fingers bring up this screen?

18. JulianL macrumors 65816

I think this comes down to differing perspectives. You're right that the above aren't part of the core but I do sort of consider them part of the iOS development effort because they're developed and maintained by Apple iOS-literate developers and as such compete for internal Apple iOS resources. For instance there were rumours during iOS 7 development that even OS X developers were getting pulled into the iOS project to try and meet timescales so I strongly suspect that some of these closely-associated-apps developers were also pulled off their main projects which is why we see skeuomorphism still remaining in those apps that they were forced to put on the back-burner. At some point the issue (skeuomorphism) will need to be addressed and, if my supposition that those developers are currently doing other things in the core iOS apps is correct, their reassignment back to some of these non-core apps will affect resources available for core iOS.

iBooks should be included in your non-core app list by the way, it and music are probably my most-used apps on my devices.

Thanks for that disclaimer, I sometimes use the same one myself since it seems so absurdly easy sometimes to start an argument with a well-intentioned question.

I'm glad you did question the above because, on trying to justify my statement, I find myself unable to do so. My initial statement was because I had it in my head from playing with iOS 7 a while back that lots of apps (e.g. contacts, messages, music) that had some sort of back button in the top left corner of the screen weren't responding to a back gesture as I expected them to do, i.e. act as if I had pressed the button (well, coloured text in iOS 7) in the top left of the screen. Maybe many more of the core apps got the back gesture in a later release than the one where my now false impression was formed or maybe my phone had got itself into a funny state at the time. Also, when I first tried it was on my old iPhone 4 but trying just now on my 5 it is fine. Maybe there were (are?) some issues with the back gesture on the iPhone 4 build. Whatever the reason, I retract my statement.

For the record I'm totally, utterly and completely in love with the back gesture although its use is more widespread on the iPhone. On the iPad quite a few core apps have the left-hand navigation pane so the concept of a back operation isn't in the app at all (e.g. contacts). Even just the Safari back gesture however would be, for me, reason enough to upgrade to iOS 7.

19. preyan macrumors 6502

preyan

An everyday example. I read something on CNN and need to tell someone about it and quote something from the article. Do you know the hassle of going out, opening another app, typing start of email, going back to article to confirm info and stats are correct, then switching back to finishing email. And then, let me just check I covered what I needed to say before mail and checking article again to ensure I quoted correct facts and figure. Note that copy and paste may work but my emails summarizes my findings and I summaries my findings in my emails. Link to article provided for ease of reference. Oh, and that too. Copy link, go into another app/another screen, paste. Inefficient to say the least.

Give me 2 apps one below the other. One screen, all information on hand.

Multitasking has been out since 1995 with Windows 95 :eek: I remember downloading info from the server and working on my word document whilst that happened.
    Surely we've moved on since then? I thought having one app opened, selecting text, copying, minimizing and opening other app and pasting was gone? Seriously, that is so Windows 95 (maybe even before?)

20. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I get what you are saying, and on a bigger screen, I'd totally agree with you. But on a below 10 inch screen like the iPad, showing multiple windows on such a small screen would mean that each window would be so small as to contain so little information each. For me, that isn't so useful, and implementing such a mode doesn't seem such a big priority. I know some people want it -- I'm just saying it isn't what *I* want on a tablet.

And yes, having multiple windows on the screen is now form of multitasking, but so is the computer doing something in the background while I'm doing something else in the foreground.

As for having had all this in Windows 95 -- well, I believe the first Macintosh had it in 1984 -- but tablets are completely new technology. Microsoft kept trying to sell tablets that did everything the same way desktop computers did, and it never worked. Apple came out with tablets that did not do many things that desktop computers did, and they sold a ton.

Oh, and I suppose you never had to work with DOS? Now *that* was true single tasking. If you wanted to switch between apps, you had to close out of one and then wait for the next one to start up. What happens in iOS is that apps are suspended in the background so when you switch back, they are in the same state you left them. That email you are composing remains open while you switch to Safari to look something up. In DOS, you had to save the draft, exit email, look up info, write down the info, start up email, navigate to the draft folder...

21. 1member1 macrumors 6502

They should make mission control for iPad and not multitasker like iOS