Multitasking like a boss

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Steve Jobs., May 27, 2010.

1. Steve Jobs. macrumors regular

I have a Macbook Pro June 2009 (2.53ghz C2D, 4GB Ram, 9400m)

Here is the situation

Currently, I am running the following things at once and the computer can't do it smoothly. There are alot of stuttering and stuff which i shouldn't experience having paid 2000 dollars for this machine.

Multitask List:
    -A Game (WoW or HoN)
    -Itunes (with music playing)
    -Firefox (with 2 or 3 tabs usually)
    -Mail

What kind of upgrades would i have to make to run these tasks at once seamlessly? Basically, would more RAM help much or am i screwed because of the crap video card?

I am definitely sure that it is the games that are throwing it off balance because i have never had a problem with multitasking when a game isn't running. Without the game, i can have many firefox windows and word documents and itunes players open and the comp won't hiccup.

But its stupid because these games don't even require that much spec of a computer! Note that i have just recently started playing these games.

2. ttran88 macrumors regular

I honestly have the same thing happen to me. All i'm doing is have a bunch of tabs open in google chrome. I don't know if its google chrome or mac. everything will start lagging as I type so I'll see what I type 10 seconds later. Also, sometimes it lags and so the trackpad is still registering a movement from my finger, and it doesnt do **** so i do it again and then it acts like a double click because the first action is still pending. THIS IS BULL ****. i get so frustrated. I can't go to apple because it wont happen in front of them.

i have a 09 2.26 mbp 4 gb ram. and a SSD. wtf is going on. its been happening alot lately.

3. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

I played WOW on mine and had no lag or skips while playing, but when i'm working on Final Cut, I have to close everything in order to run/view my edits.

It's really annoying
    See my tag for specs

4. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

i got the mid 2010 mbp 13" high end. i do not lag when i cmd + f (minimize HON) but i do get lag when i cmd + m SC2.

5. One6 macrumors newbie

Browser can be a CPU hog, I know firefox some time is.

6. Steve Jobs. thread starter macrumors regular

This explains exactly what is happening! Its really lame because i paid $2000 bucks for this damn thing hahah, i expect it to do some basic things without being retarded.

I still love the machine alot but i was not happy to see this happening today.

7. rywat macrumors member

1) If you want to play games buy a comp. with a dedicated graphics card
    2) ?????
    3) Profit!

Seriously though, it's most likely that WoW is using up all your RAM. Check the activity monitor when all that stuff is running.

8. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

I am pretty sure WoW isn't big on multithreading and it doesn't sound like a gpu problem (my iMac has the same cpu and chugs along quite well). This is probably a FireFox problem, its wanting the cpu a little too much for your comfort. A good way to check is to watch the activity monitor. If it was a ram problem, you would see a LOT of swap outs on the memory information section.

9. Steve Jobs. thread starter macrumors regular

I tired other browsers as well and they tend to do the same thing although a little better than firefox.