Multitasking on iphone is retarded

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by djsound, May 4, 2011.

1. djsound macrumors 6502a

djsound

Why do they even have this feature?!?! haha...it was just as fast without multitasking to open and close a program than to get it from multitasking. I understand you don't want to close apps sometimes because you will lose info but why dont they just make it save it,....the reason I am complaining is because you can not close your app without closing it from the multi tasking screen??!?!? hhaahha wth...stupid! If I am using facebook and I am done with it I just want to close it....not close it then go to the multitasking screen then hold the button until it wiggles and then delete it......wow.......MAJOR FAIL.......now it WOULD be useful if they would just make a option to just close directly from the app or leave it open in multi tasking mode...

2. drbob20 macrumors member

Sweet, if your multitasking is so "retarded" why don't you take your Iphone place it under the rear wheel of your automobile (bicycle won't work) drive over it a few times--back and forth of course, then go get a new phone.

Just a suggestion...:)

3. jonnyb macrumors 65816

Your misunderstanding of how multi-tasking works on iOS is the major fail here. You don't have to clear closed apps from the multitasking bar. The app is not still running in the background. The Facebook app's state just gets saved so it can be accessed quicker when you reopen it. By closing it from the multitasking bar you're merely erasing its saved state.

Just open and close the apps the way you always did. iOS will take care of the rest.

4. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I would suggest you actually do some research about the subject at hand.
    First, its not "multitasking" per se as you so eloquently put it.
    Two, its better the world think your a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

What I mean by that is if before you posted a complaint, if you had merely done a search in these forums, you would of found many answers to your issues.

Oh, and have a nice day. :)

5. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

Sounds like you should get a phone you like.

Good luck.

6. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

You do not appear to have a good understanding of how multitasking works on an iPhone. Why does it matter if Facebook is suspended or closed when you leave the app?

7. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

it uses the battery quicker if there are 8 apps in the multitask thing then 0

8. bpaluzzi macrumors 6502a

bpaluzzi

Nope. Only if they're actively using background tasks. Otherwise, you can have 100 apps in there, nothing will change with the battery life.

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It's funny. When someone says something is "retarded" I usually assume they have no clue what they're talking about.

What a surprise...it turns out I'm right again.

Might want to read about how things work before complaining about them, dude.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Only apple could redefine what multitasking is, require developers to change their apps to enable a crippled implementation and apple fan boys wax eloquent over apple's innovation :rolleyes:

Compared to other smartphone platforms, it pales in comparison. I've used android with "full" multitasking and my battery (common allegation) was no worse then the iPhones.

11. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

For how wrong you are I am impressed by how cordial this thread has remained.

There are very few apps that truly run in the background, and when these do you know they are, i.e. Pandora playing music in the background. Most apps just suspend in their state and don't use any battery life. I hope you understand better.

12. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

Jailbreak phone

From Cydia install 'Multifl0w'....much better "Multitasking" interface.

And regarding shutting down apps....

From Cydia Download & install 'Remove BG' & 'Activator'.

Open 'Remove BG' go to Activator>Anywhere>Motion>Shake Device>assign RemoveBG

This closes everything with a shake of the device, one of the best app's that a Jailbreak brings IMO.

13. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

When Apple first announced their multi-tasking solution I also thought it was crippled, but after studying it, I believe it's actually a very neat solution and prevents badly behaved apps taking over the phone.

In an ideal world, all apps would be well written and wouldn't impact battery life, but the fact is that many apps don't consider battery life as well as they should and battery life can suffer as a result.

Also, most apps don't need to continue running in the background, so why have them eating up processor cycles and battery power (however little) unnecessarily?

I've developed background apps on both Android and iOS, and much prefer the way Apple have implemented support for multi-tasking

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You have now clue how the iOS multitasking works.

15. bpaluzzi macrumors 6502a

bpaluzzi

You do realize there's no way to implement full multi-tasking without battery drain, right? So if your phone is getting iPhone-esque battery life now, you'd get even BETTER battery performance if it was using suspended-state multitasking.

16. bpaluzzi macrumors 6502a

bpaluzzi

What benefit does closing apps give you?

17. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

Because i dont want ********s of things open thats why and does it not slow the phone down having loads of apps open,i wouldn't know as i close everything after use?

And what benefit do i get from leaving them all open?

18. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

They're not open - they are suspended and don't impact on performance or battery life at all. The advantage you get is a faster switch back to an app that's suspended

19. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

Might want to not repeat what 10 other people already said ..dude :)

Well good to know about the battery life. I learned something I guess. Although it still seems to use my battery way faster

20. bpaluzzi macrumors 6502a

bpaluzzi

Yeah, it doesn't work like that. Classy move with the cuss, too.

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Only benefit to keep closing all apps is to satisfy your OCD issues.

22. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Wow! I thought those magical Android phones that don't use the battery when actively using the processor were a myth!

23. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

I understand that but i have all what i use mostly on my first page so instead of a double tap on the home button and then a tap on the suspended app i can just tap once, or twice if it's in a folder to open it.

What cuss?

24. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

If you have an app that's suspended you can still launch it from your first page and it will resume rather than starting afresh - there's no difference between opening it from a springboard page or double-tapping the home button and opening it from the list of recent apps.

25. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

Wow...you lot in here are so quick to jump on someone saying something you dont agree on.

I close apps because i want to wtf is wrong with that?