Multitasking Question

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by boatski, Jun 25, 2010.

1. boatski macrumors regular

Short Story:

Open 10-15 random apps, then double tap the home button and it shows that all those apps are currently "running" in the background.

Now, are these actually running in the background?

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

that depends. they are all still open yes. but most will not be executing (using CPU cycles). only the ones that require CPU cycles will be using them, such as iTunes - downloads, etc.

3. boatski thread starter macrumors regular

For example... I opened NFS Shift, swapped to an app that was running, then back to NFS Shift and it had restarted.

That's not using resources correct? 3.x did this already, but we never saw it?

4. Bobby212 macrumors newbie

I'm also curious about this. How do we know which apps still "run in the background" and which ones don't?? What if I want to totally CLOSE an app after I use it? I can't do that anymore? I have to close it and then access the Multitasking screen and remove it from there??? This doesn't make much sense.

5. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

NFS **** may not have been upgraded to fully support iOS 4 and the full features of multitasking.

6. SpaceIsOranges macrumors newbie

their are still lots of apps that would need upgrading to fully support multitasking

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

you 2 are spot on the money :) most will need to be recompiled and some even recoded to support full multitasking :)

8. Applelude macrumors newbie

I don't know about CPU resources but every one of those apps in the background are taking up free memory. I had a bunch open in the background then opened Sweep Light app (monitors and frees memory) and I watched my free memory shoot up with every background app I closed.

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yes that is generally how memory works lol....

10. -Knight- macrumors 6502a

-Knight-

I don't like how ALL the apps run in the background automatically, Every app should have a feature to enable it to do so if you want it to run in background.

11. celticpride678

Apps are not running in the background. They are in a "freezed state," meaning that they are not taking any CPU resources. They are just sitting there until the user comes across them again. Just because there are icons in the multitasking interface does not mean those apps are actually running.

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

well thats true to some extent. apps can still be executing while in the background if they so wish to be.

13. -Knight- macrumors 6502a

-Knight-

I meant it as "Placed" in the background. They may not be running or anything but there are apps that i don't want on there, I just want them to close out fully without having it placed in the multitask bar. Sorry about that. But having an option to be able to do that would be nice.

14. celticpride678

I guess it would be useful for people who like to "keep it clean."

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

15. -Knight- macrumors 6502a

-Knight-

16. americaroma macrumors regular

Hey guys, ive been checking out the new app from Windows live messenger on my iphone 4 and was having this issue:

Sometimes it keeps me connected after i press the home button on the iphone and sometimes it just disconects... i want it to stay online all the time like it does with the ebuddy app...

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

17. dialed1 macrumors 6502

dialed1

Yes I have had this issue too with watching videos from my itunes it's probly just bugs that need to get worked out

18. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Like we have mentioned above the msn app may not have been updated to fully support iOS 4.0. In which case it will not be able to stay connected when you close the app.

19. ascender macrumors 68020

So is there any way to disable multi-tasking for those of us who really aren't going to use it?

20. americaroma macrumors regular

Thanks... I hope thats the case. I dont mind waiting for an update fixing that.. i just wanna make sure its not my phone only... I was worried because i wasnt seeing any comments of people reporting the same issue. All i would see was people commenting on how great the app was and that it would stay connected all the time even after more than 20 hours.