Multitasking Tray slow to come up

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by gianthobbit, Mar 13, 2011.

1. gianthobbit macrumors 6502

I have a large amount of jailbreak apps and tweaks installed. My phone performance is great, my wife has a stock iPhone 4 in which I can use as a benchmark and it opens apps with speed about the same.

Pulling up the multitasking tray however has a slight delay. On my wife's phone it is almost instant, on mine there is a second delay, and at times 2-3 second delay. Although that is quite short it seems like forever and is really quite aggravating.

Is there anyway to speed up this animation? I was using a 3rd party multitasking app and it was fast but I prefer the native method.

P.S. At times my phone does get really slow (1-2 /week) and I just do a reboot to solve that.

Thanks in advance!

2. celticpride678

Are you using a device that officially supports Apple's multitasking features?

3. gianthobbit thread starter macrumors 6502

I should have mentioned that is a iPhone 4 (at&t).

4. celticpride678

Try closing all the apps in the fast app switcher once every few days. It should improve speed.

If that doesn't work, restore as a new device.

5. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

It's because it's jailbroken. The tweaks will slow down the device. The same thing happens to my device now. It does the same when I hold my finger down on an icon to make it wiggle. It's really slow and laggy now. So if it bothers you that much just use your device unjailbroken.

6. this is funah macrumors 6502

this is funah

also have the same problem with an iphone 4.

im not sure, but I believe Activator causes this delay.

i can live with it though. the home button has always been buggy on ipod touches/iphones when theyre jailbroken with a few tweaks.

7. SL4VE macrumors 6502

mine works fine. i think the key is not to have too much running like, themes, custom fonts etc etc all at once.

8. xavierpunkreno macrumors 6502

Same exact problem. Just downloaded Dock as a temporary solution until the 4.3 jailbreak is out and I can start on a clean slate.

9. badtzwang macrumors regular

Do you use SwitcherMod? I found that removing this helps A LOT with the multitasking bar

10. gianthobbit thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm going to start cleaning house with tweaks etc. The phone other than the multitasking tray deal runs at full speed however...

11. gianthobbit thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, this app is very nice. How does it decide how to organize the apps though? The multitasking tray arranged them by order of last use, this app appears to be utterly random in its ordering...

The directions are really bad on the website too

12. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

Mine is jailbroken as well and I have the same problem. Not many tweaks installed at all. LockInfo (I only use InfoShade), Weather Icon, OpenNotifier, RemindMeLater... that's about it I think. Well and biteSMS.

Anyway, mine has a slight delay when I do the double-click for the first time (usually 1-2 seconds). But then subsequently, it is much quicker. Maybe it just isn't in memory anymore after a while? I dunno.

The same thing also happens with my folders though. There is a noticeable delay when opening a folder for the first time (about 2-3 seconds). Then, for some reason, everything is fine with all folders. I could open one, delay, then close it. Open it again, no delay. Open a different folder, no delay. It's weird...

13. xavierpunkreno macrumors 6502

Which is why I mentioned it as a temporary solution. Dock needs some major work but the better alternatives like Kirikae or Circuitous no longer work.

14. AppleiPad macrumors member

The fix for this is to disable any commands for triple-clicking the home button. Your iPhone is 'waiting' after the double-click for a split second to see if you will click again and, therefore it is slow to bring up the multitasking bar.

In settings, go to accessibility and disable triple-clicking to do nothing, then your bar will come up in the right speed.

15. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

I do not have anything assigned to triple-click... I do have the Camera app assigned for double-click on the lock screen, but not sure why that would make a difference...

16. AppleiPad macrumors member

I'd recommend disabling activator and seeing if that helps, because I'd be willing to bet that's the culprit.

17. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

Do you have many tweaks affecting your tray at once?
    They might be conflicting.

18. gianthobbit thread starter macrumors 6502

I just uninstalled a bunch of things and its back to normal, thank God!

I unisntalled like 15+ things but I got a hunch that the fakeSpeedUp was the culprit. I guess just uninstall as much as you can until its fixed.

Also, the individual with folder issues. Even my wife's stock iPhone is slow with folders at times. Get FolderEnhancer, folder now open instantly and it adds some nice tweaks.

19. rainmanbk macrumors 6502

rainmanbk

This. Except that my times are like triple yours. When I double click home, if say I haven't since last respring, and I count I can reach 6 seconds before it shows up. Folders are the same way, sometimes 3, 4 seconds before i see them. Wiggle off and moving icons is still painful aswell.

I'm not sure about the 'in memory' idea. I did think that at well because subsequent openings of the task switcher for example were usually faster after that first long wait time. So it does make sense, but I think the main reason in most cases is just that there are too many additional tweaks and iOS gets bogged down. Not sure how to solve that...

EDIT: I recently installed Springtomize and removed probably 80% of the apps I was using for tweaks and I do feel like things are faster. Some things aren't as good as the original app that provides each tweak, but you can get pretty close. That said, my current setup is nowhere as good as my setup with those individual tweaks. So I either have to wait for Springtomize updates, or sacrifice some speed for the way I want it.. :/