Multitasking with 3rd party apps??

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Apps' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Does anyone know if 3rd party apps for the apple watch will be able to multitask as how they are on the iPhone?

Specifically I would want to be able to use a 3rd party podcast app (overcast) with a run tracking app (nike+). Obviously, I'll still be able to run them both from my iPhone, but I'm curious how the interaction will function on the watch.

As a side note, I wonder if this will be possible with standalone 3rd party apps in the future (without an iPhone present)

2. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

The apps in the watch are remotely presented UI for extensions running on the phone which run as processes independent of the main app from which they are deployed. Those extension apps are fairly aggressively shut down, just like today extensions. However, their associated main app has no added restrictions compared to what they have now.

The end result is that something like Overcast can act as normal and its watch app may be started and stopped repeatedly over time as you access it on the watch without negatively impacting the main app behavior.

TL;DR: yes