iPad Multitasking with iPad air 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by deadworlds, Nov 5, 2015.

1. deadworlds macrumors 6502

deadworlds

Im sorry if my following question has been answered before on some other forum post, I was unable to find one through the search function that directly addressed my question.

My grandfather in law will be getting him self a new tablet, I think he mentioned samsung, and he asked me if I wanted his iPad Air 2. I am very excited to be getting it as I really want to take advantage of the multitasking features it has like split view, which I can utilize for school work. So my question is, am I able to run two instances of the same program in split view? For example, my english class requires me to follow a template for various assignments that are Word Documents. On a laptop this is an easy task as you can open up the template on the left side, and have your blank document on the right side. Will I be able to run Word in the same fashion on the iPad air 2?

2. 960design macrumors 68000

No. Two instances is not currently possible. You can create a pdf of the template and run that in one window and word in the other if it is multitask enabled. I have not used word on my iPad so I really do not about it's multitasking capabilities.

Please keep in mind, the iPad is best used for content consumption, not content creation. A laptop may still be the best choice for your workflow. Typing large documents on the iPad is cumbersome at best.

3. deadworlds thread starter macrumors 6502

deadworlds

Thank you for your reply, your answer is what I had expected. Your workaround is something I can keep in mind, I was actually thinking that maybe I could open the templates up in Pages, and split view Microsoft Word? I understand your statement regarding the hassles and drawbacks of content creation on the iPad. I do mainly use my laptop for school work, however sometimes I find my self being out and about with my current iPad mini, and sneak in some homework, like typing up word documents that I later finish up on the laptop.

Thank you again for your insight.

4. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

Yeah, you can run Pages and MS Word at the same time.

5. batting1000 macrumors 604

Whatever you run side by side has to be two separate apps. Pages and Word will work side by side because they're two separate apps.

Remember, not every app supports split view. A lot do right now, but not everything. Developers have to update their apps to be able to support the new multitasking features.

6. ZebraDude macrumors 6502a

ZebraDude

I just purchased my iPad Air 2 and it is SO cool to be able to watch HULU in a tiny PIP box while working on something else!

:)

7. cynics macrumors G3

I think the best is FaceTime. No more "pause" screen. I can actually do stuff on my tablet while in video chat without her thinking I'm ignoring her.

8. Sym0 macrumors 6502

Sym0

Will be good when tapatalk supports split view.

9. max2 macrumors 68000

Yeah but I hate the new version of tapatalk.

10. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

everybody hates it since they renewed the whole ui many months ago. a good example how to waste all the space and make a nice app to look like a crap...

11. Sym0 macrumors 6502

Sym0

You can always just keep using the old one, its still available for download. If you paid for the old version.

12. max2 macrumors 68000

Where is it available for download ? I did pay for the old one.

13. max2 macrumors 68000

Also where is the option to disable images on Tapatalk?

14. pacorob macrumors 65816

pacorob

No you can't. You can only open e.g. Pages next to Word. As long as both apps support Split View functionality. For a list of apps which support Split View check out this wiki topic.