Multitasking.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Goona, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Goona macrumors 68020

Goona

Guys I was downloading one of the Apple keynotes in the background whie browsing the web and my phone to a crawl and this was just runnig like 7 open web pages and downloading the keynote. I don't think phones are ready for multitasking like we experience on computers. Hopefully Apple is not rushed into a solution and come up with one when the necessary hardware and software imporvements are there.

2. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Your phone, or your internet just started going slow?

3. Goona thread starter macrumors 68020

Goona

It actually downloaded it pretty fast even though it was a 1 gig file. But using the browser and other tasks while it was downloading was pretty slow. This was on a 3g with 3.0

4. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Safari is a RAM hog. If you kill the Safari process it frees up a lot of RAM and the phone runs a lot better. Download any of the memory apps that do it and you'll see a world of difference. It's the main reason I got the 3GS, the extra RAM.

5. bigmouth macrumors 6502

Yep. I can't justify the extra expense of an upgrade right now, but the extra RAM is what I'm looking forward to most when I do.

6. Excellerator macrumors 6502a

A 1 gig file???? :eek: I wouldn't even download a file that big with a cell connection.

7. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

depends on what you're talking about. ipod can already run in the background, and I don't think it would be *that* much more taxing to allow pandora/wunder radio/etc. I'm not saying phones are ready to run as much as desktops, but there's no reason not to allow audio apps besides the ipod, at the least.

8. Pattycerts macrumors 6502

So now this phone SHOULDN'T multitask? HAHAHAHAHA

9. diabolic macrumors 68000

I'd imagine that Apple won't be pressured into allowing open multitasking of apps. They'll do it on their own terms. The number of people who actually care about it and would let it be a major factor in their phone purchase decision is a minute piece of possible iPhone users.

I don't think we'll see multitasking used as a successful advertising feature winning over mainstream users.

10. diabolic macrumors 68000

11. Goona thread starter macrumors 68020

Goona

Couldn't agree more. The number of iphone OS devices show many people aren't concerned with 3rd party multitasking. Those phones that include them, I doubt it is being used as much as people want. Even without being able to do multitasking the iphone is still the highest rated by all th satisfaction ratings out there, the iphone always comes on top. I've never seen them mention lack of multitasking as one of the major points agaisnt iphone, usually its battery life. I think the problem is people are thinking of these phones as computers when they are clearly not. They think these phones can replace a full laptop. They are good for running running a few things but can never replace a laptop. I don't think the hardware and battery life is good enough to allow the flexibility of multitasking we see on desktops. Battery life is more important to phones than laptops because we carry our phones everywhere, laptops not that much these days, mines is usually at home unless its absolutely crucial.

As for the rest of his article, I find it laughable. Concerning the keyboard part, Apple will never add a hardware keyboard. If it is that crucuial to you then get a phone with a hard keyboard. I don't think hardware keyboards are any better than the iphone's. The keys on blackberries are tiny and I find them difficult to type on, all the keys are so close together. When you type on an iphone keyboard, it pops up for you making it easier. I also see more improvements in store for the iphone keyboard in the future, what improvements can you bring to hard keyboards. Don't see much. Iphone keyboards also offer more flexibility for different languages, etc. We are seeing more and more phones ditch the hard keyboards (the Storm, and the new Android phones). I think this is the future.

As for the rest of what he said about trying to do "work" on a 3.5 inch phone, I find it so laughable. How many people are going to be doing their thesis on a phone, or even doing their design work, phones are good for checking a few things here and there, playing games, not for long tasks. They are not laptop replacements, this is what people need to get their head around.