Multitool and its legality

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by BigPrince, Apr 10, 2007.

1. BigPrince macrumors 68020

What kind of multi tools do you guys carry. I carry a Leatherman Blast on my belt and use it pretty much daily. The only place I do not take it is into the classroom at my UNI.(I leave it in the car) I love it and don't remember life without it.

My next question is, are these legal to carry within reason? I use mine at work and for my volunteer work and can have people vouch for this if needed.

Just want to make sure I am not breaking the law, after all ignorance is not a reason to break the law. I could not really find much on the net that was helpful other then UK stuff. I am interested in US laws, but feel free to share your countries laws as well.

2. nickster9224 macrumors 6502a

nickster9224

It's not illegal, or knives/multitools would not be sold, just be aware of places where they are not allowed, ex schools, airports

3. BigPrince thread starter macrumors 68020

I carry mine on Public School property since I work there :p.

I thought its one of those things you can have AT work or AT home, but can not carry around IN the General public.

4. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

I think most of that stuff is fine. There are limits on blade length for a lot of those if they include a knife, but it really depends on the state and sometimes city you're in.

5. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

I carry mine all the time. I think the limit is 3.5 inch blade but I am not sure never had problems. I work in a university and no one has had a negative comment, usually people ask me where to get them.

6. BigPrince thread starter macrumors 68020

No one else wants to share what multitool they use? :(

7. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Leatherman Micra(?) - had for years

Russian Military issue multi tool - favorite, it older than I am yet in perfect shape.

Swiss Army Knife Victoria I think was the series - it had either 11 or 17 tools, got stolen.

8. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I have a Gerber, not sure the model and a swiss army knife. Its my 3rd swiss army knife. I broke the scissors on the first one after 15 years and lost the second one.

What I really want is a sonic screwdriver. :)

9. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

10. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

I carry my Swiss Army Knife with me every day, even at school. No one seems to care:)