multitouch and 2.13 (or older) MB?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by nebulos, Feb 4, 2012.

1. nebulos, Feb 4, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012

nebulos macrumors 6502a

nebulos

Hey Guys,

I'm thinking about buying a 2.13 MB, one reason being that it's the latest MB without an LED display, which I think my eyes are not fans of.

The 2.13 is also the last MB before the multi-touch trackpad was implemented, so I was wondering if anyone could tell me exactly what features I'd be giving up.

One of my main uses would be music software, e.g., Ableton, Garageband, etc. I tried a MBA for a bit and the (multi-touch) trackpad was awesome, as I could scroll through a track, zoom in and out, etc. all with the trackpad. (i could also scroll through programs/desktops, which i'm guessing i'd lose, but could live without.) i'm wondering how much of this i lose with the older trackpads.

i was hoping i could tap into some expertise on this. thanks!

p.s. right now, i'm considering the 2.13 vs 2.26. i know most of the spec differences (display, firewire, video out, etc.) but if there's anything else you think i should keep in mind, i'm happy to hear it.

if i get a magic trackpad, i should get all the features with that, yes?

2. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

The 2.13 is pretty outdated, but if you're sold on getting an older one, since it's bluetooth, you can buy the Apple Magic Trackpad and get all the multitouch features you'd be missing (You'd be missing the ability to do gestures as the trackpad in the non-multitouch models only support 2 finger scrolling).

The 2.26 is a much better machine to buy (Upgrading to 8GB of RAM will also do you very good; the 2.13 can only go up to 4), but keep in mind that the display is LED backlit.

3. nebulos thread starter macrumors 6502a

nebulos

i realize the 2.26 is better in almost every way, (with the exception of firewire (which i may never use again)). however, the display issue is big for me.

so, is there no pinch-to-zoom on the older trackpads, for example?

i was adding the bit about the magic trackpad as you were replying, thanks.

4. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

The older trackpads support no multi-touch functionality. The only thing you can do with them is scroll up and down with two fingers (with no momentum) so you wouldn't have pinch-to-zoom for example. if the screen issue is to big for you, then I would go with a 2.13MB and get a Magic Trackpad, but it won't last you a long time.

5. nebulos thread starter macrumors 6502a

nebulos

okay, thanks for clarifying on multi-touch.

i realize sandy bridge is much better than C2D, but i don't see the big difference between 2.13 and 2.26 in terms of how 'old' they are and how long they will 'last'. am i wrong?

honestly, the mutlitouch is also big. i just fear that my eyes will reject the LEDs. the magic trackpad is certainly an option, but we'll see.

thanks!

6. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Performance-wise. The 2.26 has a faster cpu, better FSB, Better graphics, better body, better everything really. the 2.26 also comes with a Multitouch trackpad built in. It would last you much longer. Where do you plan on buying this from? Is it possible you could use a Unibody MacBook (The 2.26 is a White Unibody Model) and see if the LEDs bother you? Is it just the brightness of the LEDs?

7. nebulos thread starter macrumors 6502a

nebulos

everymac comparison chart: 2.13 v 2.26

i think the graphics and bus are the same. the CPU difference is probably negligible, no? performance-wise, maybe the RAM differences are the most significant.

there are some perks to the 2.13 actually. however, if i didn't care about the LED issue, i would absolutely go 2.26, no question.

if i did go 2.26, i'd try to get it somewhere i could take it back if the LEDs bothered me, but this narrows down the options.

8. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Another option is to go PC, and try to find a really new laptop with a 120hz refresh rate, as opposed to the 60hz that's in most LED lit monitors today.

Also, since LED's don't have a brightness control, the illusion of dimness is actually created by how fast they strobe. The more dim you make it, the more strobe effect there is to mess with your eyes. Try keeping an LED screen on max-brightness to reduce the strobing. If it's too bright, use an app like Shades to reduce the brightness by altering the colors, instead of by altering the lumen output.

9. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Oops, i was comparing to the Macbook4,2 (Late 2008). If you need the power try for a 2.26, but I think you could be fine on a 2.13.

10. nebulos thread starter macrumors 6502a

nebulos

yeah, i've read about the strobe effect, thanks.

i've certainly considered PC, and use an (older) one as my 'everyday/work' laptop, but i'd like to have a Mac for music.

thanks for the suggestions.