Multitouch Idea - Fingerprints

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Zwhaler, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A110a Safari/419.3)

I just thought of a cool idea for potential use of multitouch technology so I thought I'd post about it here. Forgive me if this is unoriginal. Imagine that all multitouch devices had a fingerprint scanner built in, so that you can scan each of your fingers and assign them different uses. For example, your pointer finger can be assigned to scrolling (for web pages and your music library). Then, you can choose to use your middle finger to only be used for, let's say, highlighting (for use with copy and paste, which is not yet a software feature of multitouch on the iPhone of iPod touch). There could be a ton of different features that each can be assigned to a different finger, all promoting a high level of user-customizibility. I think something like this has some good potential, and especially on (we all know it's coming) multitouch computers. Thoughts?

2. Hydramus macrumors member

I think this would be an amazing feature if it were possible. You could have a finger which would bring up a context menu, kinda like a right click.

Unfortunately, I don't think capacitive touch screens are capable of detecting anything more than a point, but i could be wrong. Fingerprints are pretty small, plus the screen would need to be able to detect a tap of a finger which lasts for a split second and then figure out which finger it was... Great idea but we lack the technology to implement it, maybe in a few years time:).

3. barijazz macrumors 6502

That's actually a very cool idea if you can get it to work, that way there wont be different tool buttons surrounding the screen.:)