Multitouch on MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Drew017, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

I realize that since I have an older MacBook, I can't get the awesome multitouch gestures in the later ones. However, I read that the older MacBook pro's (2008 I believe) had multitouch gestures, but their trackpads were solid state. Why is mine different? It's actually newer than those! It's probably hardware limited...

PS- I have no intention of messing with it, I just want to know why. I'll probably end up buying a Magic Trackpad at some point anyway.

2. saggel macrumors regular

Just get a magic touchpad :)
    that's what I did :)

3. atMac macrumors 6502

Apple is knows for putting false limits on hardware even if an item is supported. An example is the Aluminum MacBook. For a few years after it was out Apple was using software to lock out 64-bit support and not allowing proper 8GB RAM support. They later released a software update that fixed it.

4. Drew017 thread starter macrumors 65816

Drew017

Yea, I've heard of that. I wonder why? Do they want us to just feel that we HAVE to have the very newest computer to access all the great new features? I wish it wasn't so :(

5. EwanMcTeagle macrumors 6502

EwanMcTeagle

Is it possible to replace the 2008 Macbook topcase+keyboard with a 2009 topcase?

Hey, I have the same problem as Drew. I bought my girlfriend A1181 Macbook (looks like this http://bindapple.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/apple-macbook-a1181-motherboard-2.jpg) which has the same touchpad (with a button) as my company MBP Pro - and while the latter has Leopard I can zoom in with pinching, while the white Macbook with Snow Lepard won't support it.
    I cosnidered getting my girlfriend the magic touchpad, but then we'd came to a cocnlusion that it would be unconvenient as she mostly uses a latop on her... well laps, so a touchpad would be just pointless.
    Therefore I was wondering: can I replace the white Macbooks top case (with keyboard and a touchpad) with a newer model's (like this http://cdn.slashgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/apple-macbook-white-2009-05-r3media2.jpg) top case?
    First of all do you know if it fits, second of all would it solve the multitouch problem?

Thanks for any suggestions, answers and help.

6. saggel macrumors regular

this doesn't sound possible...
    but if you do it... well... I'd love to do it too... :rolleyes:
    I've been spoilt with the magic touchpad and when I use my laptop without it I pointlessly use gestures all the time :eek:

7. EwanMcTeagle macrumors 6502

EwanMcTeagle

Know the feeling:)
    I've contacted a notebook service-shop - they fix notebooks and sell parts, including Apple - unfortunately they said it's not possible:(

8. Drew017 thread starter macrumors 65816

Drew017

I just want one because I want to get Lion, which isn't the same without the gestures!

9. saggel macrumors regular

you can use the keyboard shortcuts to do just about anything!

10. Drew017 thread starter macrumors 65816

Drew017

Yea, and I do, too! I just like a good combination of both.

11. healage macrumors newbie

Do you know if all the gestures are possible using a magic trackpad even on an original MacBook?

12. Drew017, May 7, 2012
    Last edited: May 7, 2012

Drew017 thread starter macrumors 65816

Drew017

Yea, they are. You just have to download the Apple magic Trackpad update, and it'll work just like any new MacBook

13. saggel macrumors regular

Yep ;)

14. healage macrumors newbie

So awesome, thanks a bunch

15. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

At the time 64-bit was very experimental technology and there was very few, if any, studies done on the side effects of using such technology. Apple were playing it safe.