Multitouch on older laptops?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sceneshifter, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Sceneshifter macrumors 6502

Sceneshifter

Is there any reason we couldn't get some 'software' patc to be able to do the same gestures on the current trackpads on the existing MB(P) line-up? I mean it's far from impressive and might turn out to be useful, I just like the photo rotate as it looks kinda neat to do, the pinch I'll never use hehe. But anyway, is there ANY reason why software couldn't enable this on current macbook (pro) ? Also the three finger whipe is nice, but as those are THREE instead of two finger moves, perhaps that's impossible.

Anyway, please let us know if you are a wiz at this stuff!

2. andrew050703 macrumors regular

andrew050703

That wud be nice but i doubt it - haven't checked the applestore yet but i'm guessing the mackbooks (& pro) will get a silent upgrade.

Unless apple are really trying to push their air laptop

3. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

I really wish this is possible too! But highly doubt it as it's a main selling point for the MBA and upcoming MBs.

4. chrismac00 macrumors 6502a

The MacBook Air's technology is new. It's the hardware that allows you to use the multi-touch technology. So I highly doubt Apple/almost 100% that Apple won't release a software patch or something of that sort to work like the MBA's touchpad..

I know I'm broken too.

Just got a MacBook for Christmas and now the MBA!!

5. Sceneshifter thread starter macrumors 6502

Sceneshifter

I'm completely thrilled with my MB purchase, I was almost going to wait for this pos MBA :-D I mean it's good for what it's supposed to do, but it's a completely different tool for completely different needs. If I were a suit guy, I'd buy one in a heartbeat, but I'm not!

6. G4R2 macrumors 6502a

I'm not convinced that's necessarily true when it comes to the trackpad. The Macbook does possess some nascent mulitouch ability in the form of two finger scrolling which indicates that the hardware in the trackpad may be up to the task. It could very well be that all that is required is a software upgrade. One can hope at least.

7. Justinerator macrumors 6502

Justinerator