Multitouch stopped working after 10.5.6 upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zumbaree, Feb 5, 2009.

1. zumbaree macrumors newbie

Well it hasn't stopped working completly, but it stopped working in finder, as in : you cannot size icons/thumbnails anymore.

Let me start from the top.
    Me and my girlfriend both have early '08 MBPs, both were running 10.5.5 and it was all good. Then my GF upgraded to 10.5.6, and her touchpad stopped responding to gestures in finder. I guess it has something to do with four finger gestures they were suppose to support now, replacing touchpad driver with the late '08 one, but that didn't seem to work either.
    Because she works with image thumbnails a lot, we decided to downgrade to 10.5.5 (I tried copying pref pane and various files from my machine but I failed), and it was ok for a while, and she decided not to upgrade anything until they fix it, so she wasn't upgrading (at least that's what she said) and multi touch scaling stopped working again. You can still do it if you press cmd+j in finder window, but it's quite annoying.

We were hoping to find some information about it somewhere on the net but either this problem has not been widely recognized or I didn't search for long enough, anyway I decided to post here to ask if any of you have similar problems.

The easiest way to check that is to click on the desktop and perform a scaling two-finger gestures - drive icons on the desktop should scale nicely.

Does it work on your machine? Which version of OS are you running? Does anyone know anything about that broken driver?

2. Testify macrumors member

Actually, I'm running Mac OS X 10.5.6 on a MBP 17' bought in June of 08 ( last gen ) and we cannot resize the icons like we used to!

Thanks for posting this, I was trying to find out what I changed without knowing..

Any one has ideas or solutions for this ??

3. lordthistle macrumors 6502

I am using 10.5.6 and I am able to resize icons in Finder using the zoom gestures.

Did you check the option?
    Finder -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Zoom using trackpad ?

4. zumbaree thread starter macrumors newbie

lordthistle: which model do you have?
    it seems to me that they took drivers from alu mbp's and forced them to work for not-alu ones, which broke the scaling

5. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

Before the guys who are diligent in reminding people about MRoogle come on and give you heck for starting this post...

There's an option in Finder preferences where you can toggle trackpad scaling on or off. That'll probably do it for you.

6. bodhisattva macrumors member

Thank you for that tip! I wasn't having the same trouble.. but was getting a bit annoyed when my lazy thumb slightly touched the pad causing the next motion to scale rather than move! Unchecked the option and now my apps still zoom with gestures.. but my desktop stays the size I like!!!

7. lordthistle macrumors 6502

miggitymac, may be using mroogle is too much, but you should read the thread at least.

8. zumbaree thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I don't have this option on 10.5.5, but if you say it's there I believe you ; ) I think i'll skip this version, but it's useful to know it's there. it defaulted to being disabled so we panicked a bit ; )
    Thanks for the tips, and sorry for not mroogling.

9. Testify macrumors member

Well it fixed it for my MBP under 10.5.6, tho I have no clue how this got disabled because I never went into the preferences of the finder.

Oh well :)

Thanks for the infos

10. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

Haha..I was only joking about the MRoogle. I don't really care myself.

But there are some who reply to posts by just saying "using MRoogle is a great way to avoid duplicate threads" or something like that and don't bother answering the question directly...I was just referencing them.