Multitouch trackpad, a firmware update away?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Papajohn56, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Papajohn56 macrumors 6502

Seeing as the trackpad can recognize multiple finger scrolling, could it be possible that all it would take is a firmware update along with software updates to implement Multitouch?

2. Chef Medeski macrumors 6502a

Chef Medeski

I hope. I really hope. Thats the only thing I really want off the Air.

3. XheartcoreboyX macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

i think apple CAN do that !!!

in mb/mbp its a MULTI TOUCH trackpad !!

so why it cant be possible ?!

geeks please ! :eek:

4. Chef Medeski macrumors 6502a

Chef Medeski

Yeah anyone know?

5. hari-bhari macrumors regular

determining the PRESENCE of two fingers is much different than determining the POSITION of two fingers. i doubt our standard touchpads can do it.

6. cmaier macrumors G3

Exactly. There was a long thread on this a few months ago. Knowing the corners of the box comprising multiple fingers is very different than being able to gather the center point of each finger.

7. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

It's hardware. Apple or a third party company may be able to get the MB and MBP to act as a multi touch track pad. Just like with the older powerbooks and the two finger scrolling.

But there is a chip that allows multi touch.

8. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

I was actually really surprised that this wasn't rolled out to all Macbook / Macbook Pro owners. Seems like a simple software update would give everyone the same functionality. Well, who knows what 10.5.2 will hold?

9. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I bet somebody is looking into making a firmware as we speak. Multi-touch TP looks pretty sweet!

10. Ryox macrumors 6502a

Ryox

Just a gut feeling but somehow i doubt it. I bet all future laptops will have it but for current existing laptops, i highly doubt it. Maybe its Apple's way of making money? Making you upgrade for a multi touch track pad? Donno not saying its not possible but MBA's track pad looks bigger and different current MB and MBP track pads

11. Justinerator macrumors 6502

Justinerator

I would imagine some of the capabilities of multitouch being on the current mbs and mbps. Although current touchpads do not recognize finger placement, they would recognize the amount of fingers on the pad, and the direction in which those fingers are traveling. For example, my guess is that the current touchpads would be able to recognize the three finger swipe to go "back" and "forwards". just my $.02

12. calebholmstrom macrumors newbie

Well if Apple allows us all to upgrade are trackpads they will most likely charge us 4.99 for the download... LOL. No but really I would pay for this feature since I just bought a new Macbook like a month ago!

13. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

mick4394

I believe that there is more to this than a firmware upgrade.

But, you're right, with Apple's recent track record, they'd charge us for it if it was a firmware update.

14. Chef Medeski macrumors 6502a

Chef Medeski

That was a piece of software for the powerbooks.

The block metaphor does not seem that plausible. Because it seems all these gestures would be do able with blocks. Pinch? Two blocks approach, diverge. Two finger window movement..... seems like two finger scrolling to me. Rotate. One block doesn't move other rotates around.

Who knows, I guess we'll find out.