MultiTouch Trackpad "dent"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shoulin333, Mar 1, 2008.

1. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

My new MBP seems to have a dent almost in the very center

just wondering anyone else has a little dent/dimple in the center of their trackpad

..it works fine though

2. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

Did it come like that?
    I don't have a new MBP, i have a year old MB but i don't have a dimple if it counts for anything.

I don't think it should be there, at least that would only make sense.

3. shoulin333 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ya just wondering... i had a SR MBP before and it didnt have it.. but it is soo slight i dont think i would have noticed it if i didnt have a MBP before

also it is dead center so i was wonder if it was maybe to help center your fingers for multitouch

was thinking about getting it swapped out, but this lappy is 100% perfect in everyother way, and with my bad luck if i take it back for this, i will probably get one with a bad screen or something.

4. Pees330 macrumors 6502

I'm not seeing any indentation on my new MBP. If it doesn't bother you I would just keep it if the rest of the machine is working fine. It's not worth the chance of getting another machine and having to go through to time to set it all up again. But that's up to you.

5. shoulin333 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ya all is good, and it is really slight... being i almost use a wireless mouse anyways im going to keep it

6. JWest macrumors 6502

Any chance you could take a pic? Is it noticeable enough to even see?

7. toxthexnines macrumors regular

toxthexnines

If it bothers you, you could always bring it to a apple store.

You did buy a very expensive mbp so it should be perfect :D

8. shoulin333 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Only cam i have is my iPhone, and it sux really lol

maybe i can get ahold of my GF's cam and take a pic tomorrow

.. and if i return it... i want to wait untill i have time to make a TimeMachine backup first... this thing is all configured sooo perfect...

and runs TF2 soo nice :)

9. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

10. shoulin333 thread starter macrumors 6502a

2nd day

and i just found that the screen is binding on the rear when closing it, making it hard to close, i didnt realize this but it is actually putting a "bind" on the screen ... on the side that the power cord plugs into, the other side has clearence when you close it...

... deff going back tomorrow and get a replacment

... i will post here on how the replacement is...

11. shoulin333 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fixed

Well actually i was able to fix both of these problems :)

for he binding in the rear, i was able o loosen the screw right next to the magsafe connector, press down the top case and then tighten it back up.

For the dimple in the trackpad, i just took the battery out and rubbed the dimple out from the bottom (if you look the trackpad is kind of unsupported in the middle, only had metal underneath it on the sides)

anyways, beats having to take it back:D

12. eugeman macrumors newbie

I have the same issue. Went to the store to swap it out - but after playing with every single MBP all of them (new series with multi-touch) had same issues. So I guess it is normal and is a part of the new touchpad manufacturing / design...

13. Nebz77 macrumors newbie

My New MBP has the same thing but its really not noticeable. One thing is though that theres a little 'outwards dent' on the back that it came with. The thing is really tiny and only visible in some lights haha, but i can feel it (near the last screw on the right side) come up. Not sure if this is normal. Thoughts?

Also, there are no apple stores nearby for me to go and check out other MBPs...

14. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

I had that problem too man. Thanks for that solution. I can't believe that worked!

And I had a really small dent on the left side of the trackpad. Not that noticeable but I could see it if I turned the laptop. away from me.

15. Mack1N macrumors newbie

thank you OP!

just noticed my SR mbp had a dent that was somewhat visible at an angle..i followed your guide about taking the battery out to rub under the trackpad. it works!!!! but i still feel a minor dimple. it doesnt bother me that much now. its a great quick fix! sure beats calling applecare/going to the apple store. thank you again:D

16. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

I have a penryn pro with the dent. When you rubbed behind the battery, was it where the little circuit board thing was? Kind of off center to the right?

17. felt. macrumors 6502a

brb... going to massage the underside of my multitouch trackpad :apple:

18. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

Gave my trackpad a backrub. I can't say I really feel good about it, but it did make it a little better.

19. acarle208 macrumors member

please post a pic so we can see if it is noticeable.