Multitouch Trackpad Windows 7 RC1 x64

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by timwoolsey, May 8, 2009.

1. timwoolsey macrumors newbie

Hey guys. Just installed W7 RC1 x64 on my unibody macbook. Got everything working except for the trackpad. Can't do 2 finger scrolling or clicking. Have no way to right click without an external mouse which is annoying as hell.

I'm hoping you guys can help - here's what I've tried - in order:

1. Installing x64 Boot Camp 2.0 (on my Leopard CD)
    2 Installing x64 Boot Camp 2.1
    3. Installing the 1.0 Multitouch drivers from Apple

I've tried running these things in Vista Compatiblity Mode also... still no go. I'm really at a loss - any ideas?

2. jeevesofRKdia macrumors member

Make sure that you have the boot camp diamond thing in the lower right taskbar. Then make sure that under multitouch trackpad two-finger click is activated for right clicking.

Also, sometimes right clicking is actually 3 fingers... :cool:

Hope that helps.

3. Heretushi macrumors newbie

I have the same exact problem.

Installed the W7 RC, Bootcamp (DVD one), update to Boot Camp, Multi touch drivers.

The Boot Camp diamond is loaded in the systray, yet when I go into the Boot Camp Control Panel, I don't have the mouse tab, nor do I have the Keyboard tab where I can set my F-keys to do what I want.

I guess it's not implemented yet. Sad day.

4. cashel macrumors member

I've got the same problem, everything but the trackpad works for me.

5. jeevesofRKdia macrumors member

Hmmm. I had some trouble having the drivers download into Vista when I had that. What I tried was to choose the individual drivers under device manager and disable each one individually until something worked better (or worse).
    However, if the BC Diamond isn't showing up, then try re-running the repair installer from your Leopard CD...

6. cashel macrumors member

The problem is that the icon is showing up, there just isn't a mouse tab.

7. jeevesofRKdia macrumors member

Whoops. I meant the tabs themselves...:rolleyes:

But either way the repair install should fix that problem. If it doesn't, make sure that you're using the latest and greatest of everything that you have (software wise) and try again?

Also, you can try installing the drivers individually from the DVD itself (explore the Leopard one and then: Drivers>Apple>Multitouch Trackpad and install the drivers from there (I think that's the path, or it's something like that)

Honestly, I can't think of much more to offer you if that doesn't work...

8. cashel macrumors member

Yeah neither of those work for me :(. I've tried 2.0, updated to 2.1, both times I get compatibility errors when I try running them, even when I try to run it in Vista compatibility mode. I cannot for the life of me get the multi touch trackpad installer to actually install tho. Double clicking on them results in nothing happening. Trying to add them in through device manager does nothing. If I try to run the mutli-touch update (by clicking the hardware installer exe) it says it successfully installed two apple mouse items, but nothing appears in the device manager and no mouse tab in the bootcamp control panel. I've about given up on getting this to work.

9. jeevesofRKdia macrumors member

Don't give up just yet! :D

Are you using W7 x64 or x86? Because I had Vista x86 and it gave me problems. I switched to W7 x64 and no problems...

However, as far as I can tell, there are just some computers that seemingly have "bad luck" in installing the multi-touch drivers. Although, the drivers that we were given weren't perfect to begin with. : /

Try this:

1. Uninstall all drivers from your computer put in by the Boot Camp Drivers. (you'll no longer have good graphics, internet, or any eject functions)
    1a. Make sure they're gone from the program population as well as device manager.

2. Restart
    3. Re-install the drivers using the boot camp disk (not the 2.1 update from Apple.com)
    4. Restart
    5. Check to make sure everything else works and see if the mouse and keyboard tabs show up now.
    6. If not, check to see if there are multitouch drivers in the device manager under Human Interface Devices (HID) and USB devices (it should be in one of 'em)
    7. If there are like 4 or 5, disable them one at a time and see if functionality returns. (there should be 2, I think)
    8. If THAT doesn't work, try running the trackpad update from Apple and the 2.0-->2.1 update
    9. If that doesn't work....uh.... I have no clue. :confused:

10. cashel macrumors member

I'm running x64, I've done all that before, but I'll keep trying I guess.

11. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

I installed boot camp on Win 7x64 by copying the bootcamp folder from the CD to the HDD, replaced the bootcamp and bootcam64 msi files with the ones in the limo download http://www.speedyshare.com/404462147.html, then ran the set up file. Installed the Trackpad update, had the settings in bootcamp, works perfectly. Have 2 finger tap for right click and 2 finger scroll.

12. dmbfan41 macrumors regular

great news. ill have to try this.

13. cashel macrumors member

Which setup file did you run? The bootcamp64? Did you get any compatibility errors when you ran it?

14. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

I've said it before and I'll probably say it again . . . unless you have more the 4GB RAM don't bother with the 64bit version of the RC. Run 32bit for now and when W7 is released the correct drivers and software will (probably) be available.

15. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

No, once you've replaced the msi files go back to the main bootcamp directory, and there will be a setup there, run that. Got errors when I tried to run the bootcmp64 msi.

16. Tuneboy macrumors newbie

If people want 64-bit, they can easily already get 64-bit, it just asks some extra attention while installing software and drivers.

The .msi-files a few posts up do the job, BUT you need to make sure first that ALL drivers and BootCamp are completely removed and uninstalled and that you do a restart after uninstalling.
    If you install BootCamp with the .msi-files from the easyshare link above here on a 'clean' computer, then everything will work as it should.

17. bmzero macrumors newbie

I, too, am running W7 x64. I have done as suggested with the LIMO fix. I have it about 90% working, but when I have "tap to click" enabled through the Boot Camp application, I get random clicks sometimes while using the trackpad. If I disable tap to click, everything works as expected, but obviously w/o tap-to-click. Has anyone else experienced this?

18. nph macrumors 6502a

I have the same problem on a MBA, no tap to click and no two finger scrolling.
    Never realized how I miss that until it is not there.
    I got a 64 bit version, or at least Windows never gave me an option on what to install. Everything else works great.

Btw, I dont see a diamond at the bottom of the screen. Maybe that is the problem?