multuple ipad syn issues with one iTunes library

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by SkyStudios, Apr 11, 2011.

1. SkyStudios macrumors member

SkyStudios

im having strange issues with syncing here, i have been using 2 ipads,

Here is the situation,

1- I have been backing up my iPad 2 and restoring it to the iPad 1.

2- The other day i got new apps on my ipad 2 and backed up everything as usual,

3- BUT when i attempted to restore my ipad 2 back up unto the ipad 1 i noticed nothing changed, in fact it refuses to remember what folders i put the new apps in

4- So i went into the iTunes preferences/Devices and chose prevent ipod etc from automatically syncing

5- But when i try to restore none of the new changes like apps i put in folders ever take place., and iTunes still only keeps one back up

So how can users share one iTunes library with several devices if that is the case?

2. DefBref macrumors 6502

I only generally restore form a backup when I get a new device, then just organize each device individually from within itunes as new apps/media arrives.

Your wanting each ipad to be a mirror for each other and constantly restoring from backups to achieve this? Seems like that would take longer to do than just manually manage any new apps onto the opposing device.

3. SkyStudios, Apr 11, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2011

SkyStudios thread starter macrumors member

SkyStudios

I purchased over 160 apps, organized in over 14 folders, so its easier to restore in this case, for me anyway, i guess im asking around because i dont see my previous back ups any more and i was able to back up several devices and restore them, at the same time i only want one master back up so one is ok i guess, i just wonder how to back up the other devices if anything new is on them.

so basically apple allows people to share the same itunes library but not back up multiple devices, so why do they share our unique device ID, if you go over your device in the back ups pref menu you will see the UDID which Apple was recently sued over for sharing peoples device IDs with out their knowledge, openly whether your jailbroken or not, and if the device ID is their why cant itunes tell the difference, they certainly went out of their way to add that feature.

4. DefBref macrumors 6502

They should allow you to have more than one backup. I have backups of my iphone and my wifes iphone and the ipad and they are all available to any of the other devices. I also have several backups going into the past, which I think are created when you manually backup rather than let itunes do it automatically as part of sync (which must always overwrite).

Only thing I can think of is that you haven't called the devices the same name have you? As that's how I can tell which backup is which, my phone, wifes phone, my ipad etc.

5. SkyStudios thread starter macrumors member

SkyStudios

thats it! its the name, i had the same back up situation as you until i initialized the one ipad and forgot to change it back lol

thanks