Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Seven explosions hit Mumbai's commuter rail network Tuesday evening during rush hour, ripping apart train compartments, officials said. Indian television reported dozens may have been killed.

Chaos engulfed the crowded rail network in India's financial capital following the blasts, and authorities struggled to determine the number of casualties.

Indian television reported the death toll could be in the dozens. News channels broadcast video of the wounded sprawled on train tracks and being carried through stations to ambulances, past twisted and torn train compartments.

Article link.

Mumbai and Delhi are currently on high alert.

Any locals, further updates will be helpful.

Edit: Thankfully, all of my family in Mumbai is fine. I wish I could say the same for other families...

irmongoose

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
I'm actually in Chennai right now, which is on the opposite coast from Mumbai, and we don't know much more here that what's on the news. There doesn't seem to be a tremendous amount of concern here right now, but it's hard to tell.

I'll know more in the morning (it's about 10pm here now) about local reaction when I get a better chance to speak with my team here at the office. It's a little disturbing, to be sure, but not much to do right now.

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
We have family in Pune, but they seem to be okay (thank goodness). I've been looking at some of the photos of the blasts and they all just look so devastating!

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I saw this on the news earlier. Here's hoping that it's just a single incident and that no more are planned.

Life is difficult enough without this kind of thing. Aren't natural disasters enough for these terrorists? (No, I'm not expecting an answer to that.)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
emw said:
I'm actually in Chennai right now, which is on the opposite coast from Mumbai, and we don't know much more here that what's on the news. There doesn't seem to be a tremendous amount of concern here right now, but it's hard to tell.

That's so sad... :( :(

FWIW, terrorism and violence are almost unheard of in Chennai.

I'm not sure if anyone from the family is in Mumbai right now... I guess I need to check in with my parents to see if they've heard from anyone tonight.... I've been lost in the gripping world of an all-day-every-day class recently. :(

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
While I understand the need for change and to challenge authority, killing civillians is no way to go about it. It is disgusting what one human being can do to another.

Music_Producer

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2004
Well I just spoke to my folks in bombay.. and they're allright.. they never travel by train anyway. I used to travel by train almost everyday (not to the places mentioned) but I can absolutely imagine the horror. These trains are packed during rush hour.. and I mean packed, that you can't even move.

50% are office workers, returning home.. and the other 50% are mostly students, coming home from school/college. Its insane how bastards will just blow up anybody, and have absolutely no regard for human life. Like a previous poster mentioned.. this is no way to take 'revenge' for government policies,etc.. just makes everything worse. I just hope they find the people who did this and they find them fast.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I was surprised that some of the news people knew that Bombay and Mumbai were the same place.

I'm glad that more people weren't hurt.

John Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2003
Columbia, MD
I'm in Bangalore and I first came to know about this when I arrived at work in the morning and opened MacRumors.. :eek:

Hope they nab the perps. This just shows that terrorism is a global phenomenon and nobody is immune.

pdh1

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2005
"understand the need for change?"

So delusional. This is nothing more that a glorified HATE CRIME.

"While I understand the need for change and to challenge authority, killing civillians is no way to go about it."

So dillsion. This is nothing more that a glorifeid HATE CRIME.

Hate for democracy, hate for others who do not subscribe to hard core Islamic law. Take off the blinders and see it for what it really is.

And I though Islamic Jihad Terrorism was just a reaction to "American imperialism"?

More HATE CRIME Examples:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/04/24/egypt.blasts/index.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4782618.stm

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
We heard today that our cousin's husband was in one of the trains that had an explosion. He usually rides first class, but he was with friends that day and decided to ride second class. How lucky/blessed he feels....

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
floriflee said:
We heard today that our cousin's husband was in one of the trains that had an explosion. He usually rides first class, but he was with friends that day and decided to ride second class. How lucky/blessed he feels....
Very lucky.

This reminds me of a dear friend who normally road a certain train/car in the Tokyo subway system. The same one that the Sarin gas was released.

Only on that day, he had gone to work earlier. If not, he would have been right where it went off. Lucky. Very blessed.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
floriflee said:
Glad to hear your family is safe. I'm sure it was stressful waiting to find out about them.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
floriflee said:

Those kinds of coincidences are amazing. I am so glad he is okay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.