Muscle memory

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jcorbin, Oct 26, 2011.

1. jcorbin macrumors 6502a

So I'm right handed and I usually turn my phone to the left when in landscape. Meaning the bottom of the phone is to the right and the top to the left. With the camera being so close to the edge on the left and the volume button being the shutter on the right I have to start turning it the other way. My question is are any of you guys having the same issue with remembering to turn it the opposite way? I've been doing it this way for years so it's hard re-learning

2. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

3. dotme macrumors 6502a

Nope - I've become good at firing the shutter with my left thumb :D

Plus, by holding the phone in landscape so the camera's at the top, my photos don't arrive upside down when I email them to some people

4. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

The problem is that the lens an flash are so close to the edge that my pictures turn out blurry or have a finger in the corner or them. If I have it with the camera at the bottom

5. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I somehow totally missed this tip! Thanks for the heads up. I was wondering why some of my pictures taken in landscape were coming out upside down...lol. While I usually hold the phone in landscape with the home button to the right when I'm texting or playing a game, I usually turn it the other way when taking a picture (since you're used to taking pictures with the shutter button on top of the camera). This is a huge help! :D

6. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

This is bugging me too!

I need to get into the habit of taking pictures with my left thumb, that'd be best. I'll give it a go. Thanks! :D

7. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

It doesn't matter which way you hold it to take the photo, because the gyro corrects the orientation. If they are appearing upside down it's probably because you haven't given the gyro enough time to alter (there's an indicator on the on-screen camera button).

8. dotme macrumors 6502a

Not always true, unfortunately. Apple uses embedded data (EXIF) to tell the viewer about the image orientation (based on the gyro) but not all viewing software can read and act on that data. The data orients based on the notion that "No rotation" is the landscape, lens at the top position. So by taking shots that way, even viewers/browsers that can't read EXIF orientation info will still display the image "right side up"

That's been my experience anyway.

9. BAZ1307 macrumors member

I may be missing something here, but what's wrong with just using the button on the screen to take the photo?

I feel as if I've got more chance of dropping the phone if I hold the iPhone on the edges, to press the volume up button on the top...

10. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes this is true. But pressing the button on the screen can cause More shaking and the image to be more blurry

11. BAZ1307 macrumors member

Oh right, I see what you mean. I never really thought about that to be honest. I do have to tap the screen very lightly, otherwise they seem to come out a slight little bit out of focus. I may use the physical button if I'm really trying to get a nice scenic view or something. Thanks for the tip. :)

12. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I'm trying to use the button more now. It's tough

13. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

so i see what one of the posters was saying about the pictures being upside down. i uploaded several pictures to drop box and they are showing up upside down. but it doesn't look like it happens every time so i don't know what the deal is.

14. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Do you think apple will fix this with an update? Cuz that's really annoying.

15. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I agree with BAZ. I find that using the on-screen button I am less prone to shake than using the volume button. The volume button seems to require a lot of pressure and that's resulted in shaky pictures for me. The on-screen button doesn't require a "press", just a light touch which can be done more easily for me.

Part may be that I use the phone "naked", whereas if you have a case you might have a better grip.

Even though I'm not personally a fan of the volume-button shutter, I'm glad it's there - nothing wrong with options for those who have different results than I do :D

16. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Don't tap the screen! You should be pressing your finger on the screen and releasing it when you want to take the shot. That way there is no shake added. :)

And yes if the volume button in on the top, the landscape pics will be upside down when the are transferred, or sent to another computer. Most software will not know to flip it over. :mad:

17. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

its not so much the volume button being on top its that when the volume buttons are on the bottom and i use the button on the screen to take a picture. my fingers tend to get in the way. and when there is a flash my pictures are washed out because my hand is close to the lens.

its just a poor placement of the lens.

18. ransomed macrumors newbie

This. I find that a lot of people don't know about this little "trick". Always ensure the best picture at the best moment (little to no shake included). ;)

19. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

will definitely have to try this