Music 256kbps+

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Hoopdy, Sep 15, 2007.

1. Hoopdy macrumors 6502

Is there a program or some way that I can make my music 256kbps or higher. Thanks!

All in preparation for my Touch.

2. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

Rip your music at higher quality, unfortunately I don't believe you can make lesser quality music any better.

3. Hoopdy thread starter macrumors 6502

Anyone else have some words of wisdom that can make my music encoding better?

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

In iTunes, go to Preferences > Advanced > Importing to change your quality settings.

5. sJv macrumors regular

Personally, I'm a big fan of using VBR, Variable Bit Rate encoding. MP3 files are composed of a sequence of frames, which encodes 22mS of music (IIRC). Each frame has a header that tells the decoder what the bit rate is for that frame. There is no reason why all the frames of a given song need to be encoded at the same rate. Some sections of music are more complex than others, and should be encoded at a higher rate, and some are simple and can use a lower rate. For a given average bit rate, the result will be better than a constant bit rate.

I also like to use the LAME encoder over the iTunes one. When I get a CD, I first rip and encode to Apple Lossless format, and store that away. Then I use a Windows tool (only because I havent' found an OS/X tool) to batch convert to a set of MP3 files using LAME and VBR. I use the Lossless files with a Roku soundbridge for my stereos, and MP3's for iPods and iPhone.

-steve